+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Moving a Wall

Default Moving a Wall

I want to make what is now a small den into a bedroom. But I need to make it a little bigger. The den is an addition to the house so I know the section of wall I want to move was at one time an outside wall. But it runs parallel to the floor joists above and below. The portion I want to move is only 8' long and I will only be moving it about 18". Should I put in a header where the wall is now? I'd rather not if I can avoid it.

Default Re: Moving a Wall

This is most likely a load bearing wall and you will need to reinforce the load if you move the wall. I would recommend having someone come to the house to confirm and see where/how you can transfer the load.

if this is on the top floor, probably the easiest way to determine if its a bearing wall is to stick your head up into the attic. look for trusses, if there are nothing more than individual trusses running across it its just a partition, if there is are laminated trusses meaning 2 or 3 nailed together its carrying a girder truss so you wont be able to move the wall without a engineer.

if you have rafters youll also need an engineer
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Since this is an old outside wall, is probably load bearing. At least from the weight of the roof. You normally can install a header sunk into the ceiling, depending on how your house was framed originally. Sometimes it gets quite tricky. I can't tell that from my house, so you'll need to contact a local framer / engineer to confirm.