+ Reply to Thread

Default Suggestion to all posters asking questions

hi everyone,

i would like to make a suggestion to everyone that is posting with questions regarding "how to" get a project done or for any advice in general. most of the people who answer the questions are usually in the trades....carpenter, contractor, plumber, electrician, mason, etc. the more information we have, the better we can answer your question. if you read some of the posts, you will find that the first 1-3 responses are asking for more information. pictures are worth a thousand words, that helps the most. detailed information is second best, for example, flooring questions....what is the sub floor material, are the floors level, is there adequate support below. tiling questions....what is the backer material, what was used or are you using for thinset, grout, is it over unheated crawlspace, on a concrete slab, etc.

i hope you get the idea. the more information you can give, even on the simplest of questions, the quicker you can get a good response. i'd also like to open this post up to everyone that answers questions and please, add your 2 cents worth.....what makes for a good question that can be answered quickly and properly?

help me out here everyone, i enjoy answering the questions but asking more and more questions gets tiresome.

Default Re: Suggestion to all posters asking questions

Good suggestions. I'm so glad I discovered this forum. I just joined and have already found a bunch of great suggestions for nagging projects I have around the place. Thanks!

thanks for this post mlbsf. casey i believe?

anyhow so true, it gets tiresome trying to respond to a post when not enough info is given... the same thing should be told to the folks at the evil orange putting on the 1 hr how to clinic on how to tile a bathroom or how to install a window... the diy'er says they did everything the instructor told them.. sad when the instructor doesnt know what their doing and they miss 5 key steps in the process
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    thanks for this post mlbsf. casey i believe?

anyhow so true, it gets tiresome trying to respond to a post when not enough info is given... the same thing should be told to the folks at the evil orange putting on the 1 hr how to clinic on how to tile a bathroom or how to install a window... the diy'er says they did everything the instructor told them.. sad when the instructor doesnt know what their doing and they miss 5 key steps in the process
    That doesn't REALLY happen, does it?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

And for the title of the post, SUMMARIZE!

If you just put "water heater" or "HELP!" your post may never be read by the folks that really know their stuff.

Maybe something like "Water heater makes gurgling noise" would be a better title.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Also include a general description of your location, such as state or country. And a little idea of your experience and expertise.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Good thread/Idea post here!!

Yeah, CLIMATE can be a huge factor in determining how to approach an issue.
    Here in Fargo, ND....we can go from -30F to over 100...IN THE SAME YEAR! Up here, bad insulation projects can affect many things! Good air-exchanging can be an issue when some homes are "super-insulated".

Faron