+ Reply to Thread

Default New construction windows

What is the best method for installing new construction windows on a 1953 ranch home? We're planning to re-side w/Hardie Plank & install wood new construction windows w/nailing fins, exterior of windows to be trimmed in Azek. My contractor recommends replacing all of the wood trim & sills on the inside of the house, too. Inside trim is in good condition and surely doesn't look worn or rotten. Is it wrong to install new construction windows and leave the original inside wood trim & sills intact? We do not want replacement windows. Please advise.

Default Re: New construction windows

Quote Originally Posted by linda sofia View Post
    What is the best method for installing new construction windows on a 1953 ranch home? We're planning to re-side w/Hardie Plank & install wood new construction windows w/nailing fins, exterior of windows to be trimmed in Azek. My contractor recommends replacing all of the wood trim & sills on the inside of the house, too. Inside trim is in good condition and surely doesn't look worn or rotten. Is it wrong to install new construction windows and leave the original inside wood trim & sills intact? We do not want replacement windows. Please advise.
    Not all .
    You didn't mention the reason why the contractor doesn't want to use the existing trim.
    Unless the windows are changing in size ( larger ) there should be no problem reusing the existing trim. Now, if they are inexpensive trim moldings like MDF or cheap finger jointed pine , then they may not be worth saving.
    If they are original solid wood trim pieces , with a little care they can be safely removed and reused.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Not all .
    You didn't mention the reason why the contractor doesn't want to use the existing trim.
    Unless the windows are changing in size ( larger ) there should be no problem reusing the existing trim. Now, if they are inexpensive trim moldings like MDF or cheap finger jointed pine , then they may not be worth saving.
    If they are original solid wood trim pieces , with a little care they can be safely removed and reused.
    He never mentioned using the existing trim, just reframing with all new trim. None of the windows are changing in size. They are the original trim moldings--all wood.

i think i know where your gc is going with his issue. i see it all the time. typically with new windows there is whats called "brick to brick" measurement which is the brick mold measurement being the outside. the window manufacturer can match it on the outside, however on the inside the dimensions will change. typically smaller

on new windows jamb extensions fit into a slot on the window frame, the jamb extensions have to be an exact width so they fit into the slot then come out flush to the face of the drywall/plaster. meaning the old trim may not work exactly and trying to pull it apart will damage it which wont look good reinstalled on a new window.

as for simply leaving the old trim in place on the inside of the house then installing teh new window to it just wont work. the window has to go in first to a rough opening. sealed and flashed on the outside then the trim cut to fit to the window
    fire up the saw and make some dust

"What is the best method for installing new construction windows on a 1953 ranch home?"

I've never reused the interior trim (Casing,stool,apron) when remodeling a home with new construction windows. Not that you can't, but why would you? unless this is a historic home or the molding is so ornate and expensive I'd go ahead and pay for new molding.
    Whenever you remove and replace existing material there is the possibility of damage and a degree of degradation. Unless of course you are paying for restoration.

Plus, this is the time to install beautiful moldings and make a statement. Nothing like quality molding to enhance the interior.

Strip the exterior down to the original sheathing, inspect for proper attachment to framing, fasten, repair, replace as necessary. Install WRB,Insulation,windows,flashing it all properly and you will never have to look back.
    Insulate the interior around the window frames from interior side, install your new beautiful molding and you're good to go.

couldnt have said it better

a man who does things the right way, give this man a cigar
    fire up the saw and make some dust