+ Reply to Thread

Default Interior door closes by itself

The door to my master bath started squeaking so I lubed it with some silicon spray. Squeak gone but now the door closes by itself. There was apparently enough friction in the hinges to keep the door in whatever position it was left. I now have to put a door stop in front of the door to keep it from closing. It's becoming a pain to move the stop to get behind the door or to put it back afterward. The dog's water dish is in the bathroom and he has closed himself in a few times.

I tried removing the pin and squeezing the hinges tighter with channel-locks but it didn't help.

Any ideas on how to get the door to stop closing itself?

Default Re: Interior door closes by itself

remove the trim, remove the door and jamb and rehang it nice and level. do it right one time and you won't have any more worries.

try slightly bending the hinge pin.
    HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL!

Oklahoma City, OK

im with mlbsf, the door isnt plumb, so the weight of the door itself is causing it to open
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Agreed -- the door isn't plumb.
    I would also check the tightness of all the screws on both the door hinge side and the jam. The jam could be plumb but loose screws can cause the door itself to go out of plumb.
    Bending the pin -- being a band-aid and not a cure -- may work.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I checked the door and frame for plumb and it was less than 1/32" off over 4'. Tried the bent pin for a quick fix and it seems to be holding now. All the hinge screws are tight.

Glen

Quote Originally Posted by glenthompson View Post
    The door to my master bath started squeaking so I lubed it with some silicon spray. Squeak gone but now the door closes by itself. There was apparently enough friction in the hinges to keep the door in whatever position it was left. I now have to put a door stop in front of the door to keep it from closing. It's becoming a pain to move the stop to get behind the door or to put it back afterward. The dog's water dish is in the bathroom and he has closed himself in a few times.

I tried removing the pin and squeezing the hinges tighter with channel-locks but it didn't help.

Any ideas on how to get the door to stop closing itself?
    This is completely new to me, but once I get my head around the many new terms, I find its illuminating things I've previously half-thought.
    Last edited by Longevity; 02-16-2011 at 10:30 AM.

Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

My dog does the same thing with my half bath door. He bumps it open to drink from the toilet, then it ever-so-slowly closes while he is refreshing himself. We use an antique iron as a door stop.