+ Reply to Thread

Default Insulating Attic Ceiling

We live in a cold climate. Our house was recently completely renovated. Insulation was used on the floor of the attic but not on the ceiling. Can I put insulation on the ceiling or does this create problems such as ice damns on the roof?

Default Re: Insulating Attic Ceiling

Quote Originally Posted by JeefMeyer View Post
    We live in a cold climate. Our house was recently completely renovated. Insulation was used on the floor of the attic but not on the ceiling. Can I put insulation on the ceiling or does this create problems such as ice damns on the roof?
    Simply adding insualtion to the underside of the roof doesn't give much advantage --- you would need to completely insulate *all* exterior surfaces of the attic -- if there are gable end walls they also need to be insulated.

If your attic is well ventilated for the summer and you have the appropriate amount of insulation ( at least R40 ) to prevent transfer of heat ( both winter and summer ) --- then I would say don't bother at this stage.
    Considering it would be more square footage to apply insulation to all exterior surfaces in the attic than would take to lay it down on the floor of the attic.
    It would be a different story during the renovation stage when a different approach could have been taken at that time.

Insulation is only half the equation , ensuring the penetrations from plumbing , electrical , gaps in framing, into the attic space are well air sealed is the other important half of the equation.

By the way --- I also live in a c-c-cold climate.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Simply adding insualtion to the underside of the roof doesn't give much advantage --- you would need to completely insulate *all* exterior surfaces of the attic -- if there are gable end walls they also need to be insulated.

If your attic is well ventilated for the summer and you have the appropriate amount of insulation ( at least R40 ) to prevent transfer of heat ( both winter and summer ) --- then I would say don't bother at this stage.
    Considering it would be more square footage to apply insulation to all exterior surfaces in the attic than would take to lay it down on the floor of the attic.
    It would be a different story during the renovation stage when a different approach could have been taken at that time.

Insulation is only half the equation , ensuring the penetrations from plumbing , electrical , gaps in framing, into the attic space are well air sealed is the other important half of the equation.

By the way --- I also live in a c-c-cold climate.
    I agree. But if you lived in a hot climate like I did many moons ago you could through up some insulation and a radiant barrier in order to keep your cooling costs down.

The attic doesn't have any gable end walls, the rafters come down flush to the attic floor. There are soffit vents. I had an attic roof fan installed last year which had a significant impact on the temperature of the attic in the summer time. I can understand your point that if the floor of the attic is sufficiently insulated (which it is), insulating the ceiling won't add much. Thanks for your help.

Howdy, you can but for what purpose?? Check this out ATTICFOIL.com very little cost and a better alternative. Did you insulate the floor to R60 if not consider adding more till that R value. Which would help winter and summer. Do you have soffit vents ? one sqft for every 300 sqft of attic floor space to make sure air movement to help hotter air move out..