+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Parking area

Default Parking area

Hi everyone, I have a section of grass/mud adjacent to my concrete driveway where I periodically will park my vehicle to make more room on the driveway. As mentioned, the area tends to get pretty muddy at times. I wanted to "surface" the area but I want it to be permeable, AND more importantly, I wanted it to be something that I can take up (that is to say not permanent) if I choose to make it a grassy area again. Any suggestions? I was thinking a layer of crushed stone and then some loosely placed pavers? I think if I just put stone in there, it will eventually just sink into the mud. Thanks for any thoughts.

Default Re: Parking area

A lot of people around where I live (Upstate NY), make an area like this. Usually they first dig out the grass (which you can do with a garden shovel or spade). They will then put down one or two layers of very strong permeable membrane (stronger than weed blocker). On the outside borders then they will usually put pressure-treated 4x4, 4x6 or landscape timbers and uses 12" spikes to hold them into the ground (all of these are available at any building supply/home center). Then, you can fill it in with stone or small rocks of whatever sort.

Another option is to fill it in with bulk volumes of mulch from a local sawmill or mulch supplier. The advantage of mulch is that while it can remain damp, when you are done with the area it is easily disposed of along the borders of your property, in the yard, etc. In all cases if weeds develop you can just use Roundup to kill them.

Good luck.

There is a cement block with holes in it specifically for the purpose you propose. You set the block into the soil, then seed the webbing with grass. If you let the grass grow tall enough the block is all but hidden from view, yet provides a base strong enough to drive medium weight vehicles over. If you do a compacted base, they're suitable to drive RVs over.

I have no affiliation to this link, but it describes what I'm talking about.
    http://www.soilretention.com/drivablegrass.html
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Hey, thanks for both suggestions. I really like the "driveable grass" approach. Reading about it, it appears to stabilize the ground allowing vehicles to be driven on it..yet allows the ground to be porous and more natural looking. Thanks.

Parking area should be big
    i like to park at least 3 cars in parking

Hi there is also a recycled plastic honeycombed mat that can be planted with grass that is easier to install than the concret one

Whatever you use, don't use recycled, diced or cut old roofing shingles. I saw a community center parking lot in a wooded, rustic aea done with cut shingles - it was just a joke, ugly and stinky.
    Crushed rock seems to be the best.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Whatever you use, don't use recycled, diced or cut old roofing shingles. I saw a community center parking lot in a wooded, rustic aea done with cut shingles - it was just a joke, ugly and stinky.
    Crushed rock seems to be the best.
    Ground up and dyed tires is an equally bad idea. An old tire laying in the woods is a bad thing, but let's grind that tire up, dye it with chemicals, then give it to homeowners to spread around their yards, "greens" things up, don't you think?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Spruce,
    I agree with you. There are many good uses for old tires, but a parking area surface is not one of them!