+ Reply to Thread

Default Wood floors durable enough?

Hello:
    I am considering putting wood floors in my home, but I have a disability and would be using a mobile lift and wheelchair. The lift weighs approximately 250 pounds when loaded; the wheelchair weighs over 400 pounds. Would there be a likelihood of the floor being damaged from this weight? Thank you;

Kenny Brown

Default Re: Wood floors durable enough?

Howdy, you might consider a laminate floor instead. Laminate is extremely durable. The instullation is dust free. Just remember neither should be installed where water damage can occur such as bathrooms and kitchens.

I would be concerned with a floating laminate (man made or real wood ) having problems, but full thickness wood plank should be fine. I would recommend finding a brand and style of flooring you like, then contact the manufacturer for details of it's durability in your application.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Solid hard wood floors were used for centuries in hospitals with wheel chairs and movable beds, on ship decks with heavy cannons on steel wheels, in roller rinks with hundreds of skaters screaming around, and in bowling allies with bouncing bowling balls. I think it would stand up to you chair.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for the advice, I was kind of leaning towards wood floors myself.

drg