+ Reply to Thread

Default Whole house fan thermostat

I just moved into a house with a whole house fan built in, it has a speed adjustable switch and I want to put it on a thermostat switch. I've looked around the web and don't know exactly what I need.
    I found this

http://www.atrendyhome.com/whhofanth...hannelid=FROOG

that is designed for a "Quiet Cool" system so I don't know if it will work with my existing fan.

Thanks for any replies

Default Re: Whole house fan thermostat

Yes, it should work. Do not run the fan if all the windows are closed, as you can draw flue gases back into the house if the furnace or water heater are located in the house. It will also be a bad thing if you have a fireplace in use. This probably why they are not usually set up for automatic operation.
    "Lead by Example"

There you go --- ya gotta love google
    Instead of searching the internet -- I would have used a regular thermostat controlling a relay to switch the fan on and off. It probably would cost me more but I built it .
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Got to aggree will all of the answers above, especially ZZZ.

I was using my wood burning fireplace once an the house got a little smoked up so I started my whole house fan.

Big mistake! Red hot coals leaped out of my fireplace all over my carpet. Needless to say, if I had not turned it off at once and put out the fire I could have burned the house down.

Maurice Turgeon, thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Semi-Retired Electric View Post
    Got to aggree will all of the answers above, especially ZZZ.

I was using my wood burning fireplace once an the house got a little smoked up so I started my whole house fan.

Big mistake! Red hot coals leaped out of my fireplace all over my carpet. Needless to say, if I had not turned it off at once and put out the fire I could have burned the house down.

Maurice Turgeon, thesemi-retiredelectrician.com
    Good to hear that I'm not the only one to do that. I forgot to open the fireplace damper once and so I got the brilliant idea to use the whole house fan. It might have worked if I had opened the sliding glass door in that room.
    A few months ago my daughter had a few friends over and just switched it on for a few seconds to show them. The switch is right below the fan. No fire was burning, but the room filled up with ash that quick.