+ Reply to Thread

Question Repairing old tile wall wthout removeing the plasterboard

I need some sugguestions on what too do about removeing old tile from the bathroom wall without removeing the plaster board wall behind it. I have removed the tile nicely but I have the old glue on the wall. I was thinking of putting some wainscoat up to hide the glued areas. Anyone have any other sugguestions? dyoder08

Default Re: Repairing old tile wall wthout removeing the plasterboard

the question is how do you want to finish the wall? if you're planning on having a flat finished wall, you can take off the the mastic with a putty knife or chisel and plaster over it and have a nice smooth wall. if you're going to cover the wall with some type of beadboard or the like, you can do the putty knife or chisel and put the beadboard right over it and not worry about how smooth the old wall is.

if the tiles were installed with mastic, it can be softened with water and scr-aped off. If the tiles were installed with thinset mortar, it can ge ground down with a diamond cup grinder.

its really very nice and valuable post
    thanks for sharing this

I'm doing an identical project in the bathroom. With most of the tile removed, I'm planning to use a pad sander and smooth out the walls before putting up the wainscotting. Chemical removers are available but for the price and environmental concerns, I'd rather not used them. I tried chiseling the mastic off but it's chipping the the cement board.

03-08-11 Update........Forget about mastic removal. I skimmed the wall with a plaster coat and sanded it down.
    Last edited by thecoinbox; 03-09-2011 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Update