+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Post supports

Smile Post supports

I have a overhang approx 4 feet at my front entry. This overhang supports a roof overhang. The posts are rotton and I am in need of some new ones. I can't seem to find any at the local building companies. I think the posts are more for looks than support as they are now loose. Any suggestion where I could purchase some new ones

Default Re: Post supports

6x6 pt is the standard post for exterior use
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Steve,

I can not believe your local building supplier does not have columns in stock or at the very least show u a catalog of them

There are many companies who manufacture cast columns that don't "rot" or decay and they take paint very well.

One company comes to mind is HB&G columns, give them a search.

Those existing rotting columns are structural, but the roof attachment to the house framing is also helping out in its support. Don't kid yourself.

hmm, try a local siding supplier or a trim supplier, they should have structural fibreglass columns.

we use them from time to time, basically you have to jack the roof up just enough to slide the column into place then relieve hte tension so the roof will set back down on the column
    fire up the saw and make some dust