+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tree advise

Hybrid View

Default Tree advise

i need some tree advise, We have a ranch house that has 3 nut trees lining the back of the house they are very close and dirty and ugly. I would like to have them all removed and replace them with 2 nice trees that I can get shade from quickly. The only good the nut trees do is protect from the heat of summer.Any advise would be helpful.

Default Re: Tree advise

Not sure what the question is. If you don't like the trees, remove them and put in something you do like. Either dig the root systems out or have them ground out. Be cautious of fast growing trees because they tend to be a little weaker and shorter lived.

That being said, I really like London Plain trees, which are a species or type of maple. They are relatively fast growing (mine reached 20' in 5 years ) and have a nice canopy. They may or may not be suitable for your environment, you'd have to do some research on that.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I would like something that I do not have to wait 15 years to get some shade and also look nice.

Then a London Plain will fit that bill. You might want to talk with an arborist or local nursery to see what species and types of trees do well in your region and fit your needs.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Poplar grow quickly, have a nice shape and offer nice shade, grow a bit faster keep a nice pyramidal shape until they're mature then branch out later in life. There are many varieies and hybrids. Seedless or Cottonless Cottonwoods are one type.

Where are you located? What are the soil, water, weather conditions?

What kind of nut trees are there? Black Walnut trees can poison the soil and make growing other things very difficult.

Not a fan of the Plane trees, they're very messy with their bark deposits and dropping fuzz balls all year.
    Last edited by Gray Watson; 03-07-2009 at 08:40 PM.
    SPAM: never liked it from a can, can't stand it on a board forum. This board needs MODERATORS!

Quote Originally Posted by handywomen View Post
    I would like something that I do not have to wait 15 years to get some shade and also look nice.
    Good luck finding something that will meet that criteria .

Thanks for passing this info on. We just had a neighbor ask us the same thing, and now we know what to tell her.

Thanks,
    NOVAPros

I'm glad i've just bumped into this thread. I'm having the same thought as the thread starter. thanks for your comments.

Howdy i would plant a few very fast- i mean real fast growing auzie trees and also plant slower growing more leafty tree like a silver maple behind them ...