+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bad paint job??

Default bad paint job??

I painted a bedroom 6 months ago.the paint is still slightly tacky to the touch. I have taken a wet paper towel and wiped the wall, and I find paint from the wall has come off onto the towel.
    using a dry paper towel renders the same results.the humidity
    and temp at time of the painting was 40% and 72deg.
    anybody have an idea what is causing this,and what if anything i can do about it.

Default Re: bad paint job??

Thommy,
    I would be interested in knowing exactly what type and brand of paint you were using. It is not impossible that you just simply got a bad batch from the manufacturer. for years I used a national brand with generally good results, however, every one in a while I would get great variations in such things as viscosity. When using their oil enamels, once in a while it was as if they had forgotten to put the drier in the batch. Aftermany hours it would still be tacky.

A tacky, gummy feeling is not unusual with many latex paints, especially when it is humid out. Also, deep base colors accentuate this because they are loaded with colorant which greatly retards the drying and curing. The liquid in universal colorants, which are dispenced into paints at the dealer, is closely related to automotive anti-freeze. Is it possible the dealer overdosed the paint with colorant? Most deep colors would have no more than 13 or 14 ounces per gallon. The colorants themselves NEVER dry if left exposed to the air!

After several months, the situation you describe should not still exist. I don't know how to reduce that gummy feeling. I think I would try priming over the bad paint with a quality acrylic primer and follow up with a quality acrylic paint. I would steer away from the glossier finishes and very dark colors.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Thommy,
    I would be interested in knowing exactly what type and brand of paint you were using. It is not impossible that you just simply got a bad batch from the manufacturer. for years I used a national brand with generally good results, however, every one in a while I would get great variations in such things as viscosity. When using their oil enamels, once in a while it was as if they had forgotten to put the drier in the batch. Aftermany hours it would still be tacky.

A tacky, gummy feeling is not unusual with many latex paints, especially when it is humid out. Also, deep base colors accentuate this because they are loaded with colorant which greatly retards the drying and curing. The liquid in universal colorants, which are dispenced into paints at the dealer, is closely related to automotive anti-freeze. Is it possible the dealer overdosed the paint with colorant? Most deep colors would have no more than 13 or 14 ounces per gallon. The colorants themselves NEVER dry if left exposed to the air!

After several months, the situation you describe should not still exist. I don't know how to reduce that gummy feeling. I think I would try priming over the bad paint with a quality acrylic primer and follow up with a quality acrylic paint. I would steer away from the glossier finishes and very dark colors.

the paint is made by Prograss Paint manufacturing co.
    Louisville KY. 40202

under the GRAY SEAL brand
    it was semi gloss neutral base # 839
    it is a mustard color

Thommy,
    I have not heard of this brand before, but there are many quality regional brands around the country. There are only a handful of national brands. I would suggest that you contact the company directly. Most companies have good technical inquiry services. Progress can be reached at: WWW.Progesspaint.com or by calling 1-800-626-6407. Most companies guarantee their paints at least to the point that they will refund the cost of the paint.

customer satisfaction does not exist with this company.
    a rep came to the house,took samples with a dry cloth,also
    I gave him a full gallon of paint.
    he called me and said no action will be taken reguarding
    my complaint.

Their refusal to act is surprising.

What are you going to do now? repaint?

Semi-gloss in a Bedroom??!?!

The key here is the tint-base, which you said was a Neutral.
    This means there's a TON of colorant in it, and yes, colorant dries out veeeerrrrryyy slowly.

In a way, be glad it's Semi-gloss!!!
    If it was a Flat, colorant would be coming off if you lightly brushed against the wall!

Other equally important factors:
    * Quality level of the paint. How much did you pay for this, per gallon?
    * Heaviness of each coat.
    * TIME BETWEEN coats is crucial too. Re-coat too soon...and the 1st coat is trapped and can't dry out, resulting in exactly your situation!

Faron

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Their refusal to act is surprising.

What are you going to do now? repaint?

yes,but I am in no great rush to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Faron View Post
    Semi-gloss in a Bedroom??!?!

The key here is the tint-base, which you said was a Neutral.
    This means there's a TON of colorant in it, and yes, colorant dries out veeeerrrrryyy slowly.

In a way, be glad it's Semi-gloss!!!
    If it was a Flat, colorant would be coming off if you lightly brushed against the wall!

Other equally important factors:
    * Quality level of the paint. How much did you pay for this, per gallon?
    * Heaviness of each coat.
    * TIME BETWEEN coats is crucial too. Re-coat too soon...and the 1st coat is trapped and can't dry out, resulting in exactly your situation!

Faron
    the paint cost about $ 25.00 per gallon.

I have to agree with Faron. I consistantly have the most problems with deep base paints which have between 12 and 15 onces of colorant in them. Colorant is not paint! It is pigment floating in ethlene glygol, a kissing cousin to automotive anti-freeze! Tint dramatically slows down the drying/curing time, which can be as much as a month for normal paint. I personally feel that it creates adhesion problems too.

Factory made dark colors generally give less problems because they have pigment added without the need of adding glycol along with it. Factory tinted colors also generally cover better, with a higher ratio of pigment to resin and glycol.

I especially dislike dark, tint saturated colors in high humdity areas such as baths. They tend to discolor unevenly. In such areas, I prefer oil paint to avoid this problem.

Finally, cost alone is not a true determinate of quality. Some of the national brands carry outrageous prices. A good quality semi-gloss can be had in the $25 to $35 dollar range. A key thing to look for on the label is 100% Acrylic resin and nothing but titanium dioxide as the white pigment. Silicates and calcium carbonate on the label is a give away that corners were cut with the quality to keep the price down.