+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default kids drew on every wall with crayons

Recently bought a fixer-upper. The kids who lived there before, drew large crayon pictures on the walls. These pictures have been there a long time. Torch and so called spray on cleaners are not working. How does one get paint to cover this mess cheaply and with little labor? Keep in mind that we are talking full wall art. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thumbs down Re: kids drew on every wall with crayons

Homeowner,

You should give those walls a complete priming with an acrylic based primer such as Zinssers' 123 or Behr's Enamel undercoater No.75. If you are going to a strong finish color, have the paint store tint the primer toward that color.

Even the best of wall paints will not hold up to scribling with crayons and such. It is not a bad idea to try to remove as much excess crayon as possible.

Default Re: kids drew on every wall with crayons

I have had good results with KILZ ORIGINAL - PRIMER, SEALER, STAINBLOCKER. It's oil base primer, costs less than $20 a gal, available everywhere.
    Good luck.

If cost is an issue go to a professional paint store and tell them what you need to paint over. They will recommend the best primer and paint for your needs.

To remove it, you could try De-Solv-It. I've found it works on greasy, waxy, and adhesive residues where a lot of other cleaners just plain fail. However, it tends to leave it's own film behind; following up with Simple Green seems to work very well.

Of course, it sounds like you've got a LOT of area to clean! Some kind of oil-based sealing primer (I'm thinking KILZ) probably will be easier in the long run.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Because of the "waxy" nature of crayons....yes, you'll have to bite-the-bullet and get off what you can using the De-solv-it remover mentioned by Fencepost.

Simple-Green may have to be rinsed well, but do use it after the De-solv-it!!!

NOW you're finally ready to prime, after it has dried a day. I'd use Zinsser's BIN primer. This is a Shellac-based primer with a noticeable alcohol odor, but it's the best for this use IMO.
    This is what I'd tell our stores' customers' too.

Sorry...but telling you this is gonna easy, or that it's OK to skip a prep-step....is just irresponsible.

DO IT RIGHT to ensure a durable finish!

Faron

Smile Re: kids drew on every wall with crayons

Inexpensive toothpaste. I have an in-home childcare and have used this trick more times than I care to admit. Be sure to rinse it afterward...

As I recall Zinnser Bin primer/sealer is actually rated to paint over crayon. It is a shellac based primer and extremely sticky so it is used for a lot of jobs that other paints will not handle. It is always used by fire restoration people because it seals in the smoke odor and will not peel off. The oil based and latex primers will eventually peel.

Oops - I gave some misinformation. Both Zinsser 123 and Bin Primer are rated excellent for painting over crayon. The oil based primer is only rated good. I have always had more sucess with the Zinsser Bin as nothing bleeds through this primer where I have had bleed through with the 123 Zinsser.

An oil-based sealing primer is going to be a must. Acrylic latex primers will not adhere well to the waxy residue the crayons leave behind.

EDIT: I've learned that a shellac-based primers is an even better options. I haven't tried it myself. Someone said latex primers are good, but I'm skeptical. I guess you could try it and see. Whatever primer you try, paint it on, let it cure at least a week, then try to wash it off. If it comes off easily, forget it. If it is hard to wash off or doesn't come off at all, you may have good results.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 09-05-2011 at 12:51 PM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.