+ Reply to Thread

Question Central AC without a furnace

I have a split system but I want to eliminate the gas furnace and install baseboard heat. How do I keep the central air intact? Is there a small air handler for residential property? Should I just use the gas furnace as the air handler and remove the gas line and flue? The AC system is only 3 years old so I don't want to replace it but I definitely need AC.

Default Re: Central AC without a furnace

You should have the gas disconnected from the unit, you should also have the ignition disconnected or disconnect w at the stat. or get a cool only stat.

Are you going to install a boiler and a hot water system or electric baseboard? I question the ecomomics of both.
    But if the furnace is not going to be used it should be disconnected and possibly removed.

All a furnace is is an air handler with a Heat exchanger and a burner assy. If you have the money to buy a new Air Handler then that's the way to go, if not the old furnace will work if you do what I posted first.

Quote Originally Posted by Sten View Post
    All a furnace is is an air handler with a Heat exchanger and a burner assy. If you have the money to buy a new Air Handler then that's the way to go, if not the old furnace will work if you do what I posted first.
    Yep -----------
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thumbs up Re: Central AC without a furnace

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input.