+ Reply to Thread

Default gas furnace - cold house

the house is 5 years old and 1650 sq ft.
    The furnace is in the crawl space and is approx under the thermostat!
    so when the furnace comes on (loudly) the air in the extremes of the ducts is cold so we get a blast of cold air.
    the thermostat near the furnace then says it is warm enough and the furnace goes off long before the far reaches of the house are warm!
    yes we will probably put a heater in the ensuite bathroom.
    also as the burners light it sounds like a moon rocket going off when the furnace comes on at night!
    so before i listen to a slick salesman i need to know what can be done.
    thanks all
    PS in the drawing North is on the left. the main bedroom is at the top on the left.(and the drawing look slightly distorted!)
    ________
    medical marijuana card
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	furnacehouseplan.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	2237  
    Last edited by anon125; 01-22-2011 at 04:43 AM.

Default Re: gas furnace - cold house

anon125:

First make sure the large filter at the furnace is clean enough so you can shine a light thru it---clean it if it is that type, otherwise, replace it if unsure--forced air systems have to have adequate air flow thru them to work properly---make sure you can feel adequate air coming out of all the supply registers by placing your hand near them when the system is running.

You can adjust the fan/limit switch with a thin-blade screwdriver to raise the temp the fan will come on--up to say 160 degrees---this will heat the air higher in the heat exchanger, plenum & main ducts before the fan comes on.

The burner or gas/air mixers on the mainfolds should be adjusted by a service person to reduce noise.

Read over some of the parts & functions of forced air furnaces at the site below---then scroll down to the header that reads "Hot Air Heating Furnace Basic Operating Steps"

It sounds like your system needs routine maintenance---if the above remedies don't improve things, it's a simple matter to move the t-stat to another location, but I would call a heating person first.

http://www.inspect-ny.com/heat/FurnaceControls.htm
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 03-06-2009 at 05:17 PM.

thanks
    we had replaced the filter when we had the furnace serviced just before winter.
    the rest looks very interesting.

is there any difference noise wise with different models of gas furnaces?
    ________
    Honda CMX250C
    Last edited by anon125; 01-22-2011 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anon125 View Post
    so when the furnace comes on (loudly) the air in the extremes of the ducts is cold so we get a blast of cold air.
    Insulating the duct work may help.
    the thermostat near the furnace then says it is warm enough and the furnace goes off long before the far reaches of the house are warm!
    This sounds like the system is not balanced which is done by adjusting the dampeners.
    also as the burners light it sounds like a moon rocket going off when the furnace comes on at night!
    It could just be the type of furnace or if you are on propane it may have the wrong jets or pressure not adjusted correctly.
    so before i listen to a slick salesman i need to know wat can be done.
    thanks all
    PS in the drawing North is on the left. the main bedroom is at the top on the left.(and the drawing look slightly distorted!)
    The drawing is nice but doesn't show the duct work layout or the location of heat vents or returns.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

thanks Jack
    we have not seen any dampers.
    it is a natural gas furnace
    ________
    Suzuki GT185
    Last edited by anon125; 01-22-2011 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anon125 View Post
    so before i listen to a slick salesman i need to know what can be done.
    thanks all
    It looks like the home could have a zone system installed easily.
    I would locate one thermostat in the "main" (master?) bedroom and one thermostat in the family room. The noise issue is a concern. It could be a number things. Is the crawl space heated with the perimiter being insulated? I prefer that, personally.

Zoning's a good choice, but I would put the second stat midway between the living and dining room to take care of the cold spot in the living room. That would also be more central and you wouldn't be just heating one side of the house, and the stat always goes near a return. Good Luck!!!

Smile Re: gas furnace - cold house

I think both ideas of getting zoning set up and moving the thermostat are good ideas. Make sure when you move your main thermostat that it is away from windows and outside doors. If you do zone your system then you will have thermostats in those rooms too.
    I think too that part of your noise problem is simply air running through your ducts. I know are house doesn't have insulated ducts and when the air blows through them it makes quite a racket. We could insulate them but to do so would mean taking down our ceiling in the basement,something I don't intend to do. As for your house I am guessing based just on the age of the house that your vents are in the ceiling. If so then insulating the ducts wouldn't be that hard. You would just have to be careful where you stepped in the attic and wear a mask. If on the other hand they are like my ducts then I advise you to just forget it and try to live with the noise.
    In any event the the advice that was given previously about having a professional service person come to look at your system is a wise one. Perhaps too there might be something loose that needs tightening. It happened with us,our fan motor housing was loose and the serviceman fixed it. I wish you good luck!

The "moon rocket" sound might be a delayed ignition? Otherwise, I'm surprised you can here the burners light from the master bedroom.