+ Reply to Thread

Default Lighting a rectangular room - repost in approp forum

I have a knee wall room above our garage that i am trying to finsih. It is rectangular (13X25) and i would like to improve on the lighting in there. Currently there are just 2 light sockets running down the middle of the length of the room.
    What would be the best way to light this room appropriately? I originally intended on spreading the 2 lights out a bit more and putting one more in the center (these are all recessed lights), but i am having second thoughts. Any input would be appreciated.
    I'm intending to put 65W bulbs or the 15-16W CFL equivalent in them.

Default Re: Lighting a rectangular room - repost in approp forum

That's a tough and subjective question to answer. I, for instance, do not like recessed lighting, never have. Add to that, you provide no description of the functional use of the room or the presence or absence of natural lighting. This makes any suggestions very difficult.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Agreed, i was pretty vague about the room.

It is a 25X13 room. It has 2 skylights on one side, and a dormer on the other. The room is going to be a play area / computer room for the kids. At the far end we are putting a bed (and then ultimately a murphy bed). I was worried about putting hte third light near the end of the room b/c that would mean that there is a light directly above the bed. If the person in the bed looked up they would be somewhat blinded.
    I don't think i'm against a different lighting scheme. I have the recessed lights, but its not a big deal to return them. I'm inclined to think that they may not be appropriate in that room. I do, however, need to get the wiring run before i continue any farther with the room.

It sounds like this is a transition room. Playroom today something else tomorrow. I personally prefer task lighting. Night stand by bed with lamp, desk light on or above computer table, etc. Ceiling lights mean a hole in the ceiling and possible heat loss. I would be more inclined to add extra outlets for task lighting, neon light or two hung on the wall for the play room period. No permanent lights in a transition room.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I guess you're right. It is a very subjective matter. What i was looking for was more of common lighting solutions for particular problems (rectangular room, narrow ceiling).
    I agree that task lighting is appropriate in places, but where and how much i don't know.