+ Reply to Thread

Cool Leak in crawlspace outer wall

Hi
    I have a very good sized leak coming into my crawlspace, between the outside wall and the floor, probably the footing is bad. My 1st course of cinder block is pulling away from the next course under it, so much that I can see outside through the mortar joints(note - the joint is not the source of the leak because it is 2 feet above ground level). The deck is attached to the sill plate right over that 1st course of cinder block.
    What do I do? Probably have to remove deck and excavate to see entire footing? There is one 18 x 20 room over the crawl space, no 2nd floor.
    Help please!

Default Re: Leak in crawlspace outer wall

Securomw,

The first thing that i would check is your gutters, make sure that they all drain atleast six feet from your house to be sure that water is not being dropped so close to your foundation walls. The second thing that i would check is the grade of the dirt next to your foundation on the outside of your house, It has to be a positive grade. Meaning you should have a 25 degree slope of dirt from your foundation wall to the dirt surrounding your home. Next i would seal up all the cracks and repair the foundation wall if necessary!!! You can use Quikrete mortar repair to fill the small cracks in your foundation wall, this can be bought in caulking tubes (which makes it easier to handle in a crawlspace) from your local hardware store. Or you can use regular mortar, but that is kind of tough to work with in a crawlspace. I would also suggest installing a draintile and a sump pump in your crawlspace to get rid of any water that seeps in. For more information on this topic i would visit crawlspaceinfo.com this is a very informative website on the topic of crawlspaces. Hopefully this will help answer your question!