+ Reply to Thread

Default painting over stencils and stripes

In my daughter's rooms we painted stripes and have some stencil flowers on the walls. We tried sanding the stripes to where you can't feel them, but when we repainted you can still see a ridges. My friend said there was a paint that you could use to cover stripes or wallpaper seams, does anyone here have any advice or know what that paint is called?
    Thank you!

Default Re: painting over stencils and stripes

Sorry Christian...
    No such animal! If you still see ridges, sanding wasn't thorough enough. There's just no way to sugarcoat it...

Even if ridges were perfectly feather-sanded away, you STILL may see the stripe, because it's literally another layer or 2 of paint, relative to the initial coats. Just depends how the light hits it....

Sorry-
    I wish there was better news!

Faron

Default Re: painting over stencils and stripes

I would have to agree with Faron, mere paint won't get rid of the lines.

You could try to feather out the edges with dry wall compound, but then you end up with super smooth lines that don't match the texture left rollers used in past paint jobs. To make the wall totally uniform in appearance, you can apply a thin coat of drywall mud to the entire wall. Then sand it with a sanding block, prime and paint.

I am assuming you have smooth walls and not sprayed texture. If you have textured walls, you are into re-texturing.