+ Reply to Thread

Default Can Someone Help Me Fast?

My family purchased a home about 6-8 months ago and I am living in a part of the house which is above the garage and has been built long after the house was built. Judging from the look of the floor, I'd guess no older than ~10 years.

But this is our first winter in the home, and now the roof is leaking! We could tell the contractors did a terrible job on this addition, the floors in the 1930's main part of the home is more level than my room...

Anyway, does the town hall keep records of which contractors worked on the houses? They should have that, right? Since they probably had a work permit?

I'm really pissed here... How should I go about finding out who did the work? Contact the previous owners?

Wink Re: Can Someone Help Me Fast?

I ran into a similar situation at my home, I just bought it a year ago. If you find the contractor there won't be much you can do legally, 10 yrs. is surely beyond any statute of limitations. And if your luck is like mine, I tried to find our previous owners and its like they disappeared into thin air, maybe you'll have more luck. I did find out why I can't find the previous owners, we keep getting bill collectors looking for them.
    I would say bite the bullet and do what you need to do to make things right to your satisfaction. If you find the contractor and he will help, great. Good Luck.

Calcats

Default Re: Can Someone Help Me Fast?

Did you have a home inspection when you bought the house? If so, what did the inspector say about the roof and construction of the addition?

Good luck having anyone fix it for the new homeowner. Save yourself the time and grief and get someone else to see about doing a repair.
    By summer you'll have forgotten how angry you are now.
    The best you can do is call the building dept if you must and get the builders name from the permit....the builder might not have even done it...he may have subbed it to a roofer...
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

I am a real estate agent and I have seen this type of situation before. You need to contact your agent and have them locate the selling agent. The law requires the seller disclose any "known" defects. If you can prove that either the seller or the sellers agent knew about the roof and did not disclose that information to you then you will have legal grounds for recovering your $$ for the repair. This goes for your agent as well. Even though he/she is YOUR agent, if they knew about it and withheld the info to prevent the loss of the sale he/she is liable.

Quote Originally Posted by dazed_confused View Post
    I am a real estate agent and I have seen this type of situation before. You need to contact your agent and have them locate the selling agent. The law requires the seller disclose any "known" defects. If you can prove that either the seller or the sellers agent knew about the roof and did not disclose that information to you then you will have legal grounds for recovering your $$ for the repair. This goes for your agent as well. Even though he/she is YOUR agent, if they knew about it and withheld the info to prevent the loss of the sale he/she is liable.
    Thats not the case in a lot of places. In NY the HO can either pay $500 OR be responsible for any repairs found up to a year I think it is. Most around here pay the $500.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Quote Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
    Thats not the case in a lot of places. In NY the HO can either pay $500 OR be responsible for any repairs found up to a year I think it is. Most around here pay the $500.
    Not to mention agents talking their clients out of pressing charges because they don't want to deal with it, don't want to be liable, and don't want to make waves within the industry.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Not to mention agents talking their clients out of pressing charges because they don't want to deal with it, don't want to be liable, and don't want to make waves within the industry.
    After re reading the OP's post I got to thinking after reading this >>We could tell the contractors did a terrible job on this addition, the floors in the 1930's main part of the home is more level than my room...<<

Sounds like buyers remorse. When you spend 100's of 1000's of dollars you'd think you'd look the house over with a fine tooth comb BESIDES hiring a compitant Home Inspector. It's a little late once the deal is done. Some things aren't visable to the eye but apparently the floor is so out of level according to the poster that it's obvious.
    I find that most roof leaks are usually a simple fix. Usually a flashing detail by a chimmeny or vent pipe that a tube of Karnak will fix.

If the OP wants to take pictures from the roof we might be able to help.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Quote Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
    After re reading the OP's post I got to thinking after reading this >>We could tell the contractors did a terrible job on this addition, the floors in the 1930's main part of the home is more level than my room...<<

Sounds like buyers remorse. When you spend 100's of 1000's of dollars you'd think you'd look the house over with a fine tooth comb BESIDES hiring a compitant Home Inspector. It's a little late once the deal is done. Some things aren't visable to the eye but apparently the floor is so out of level according to the poster that it's obvious.
    I find that most roof leaks are usually a simple fix. Usually a flashing detail by a chimmeny or vent pipe that a tube of Karnak will fix.

If the OP wants to take pictures from the roof we might be able to help.
    Ugh the home prices in this town aren't really affected by the rest of the nation. It's a town with outrageous home prices but the schools are very excellent. There isn't a lot of negotiating room in this town so...

Anyway we now know that the roof leaks because of the ice dam created. It never leaks when it's raining so the water that is retained is leaking.

How hard of a fix is this? Where should I be looking at for the problem?

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by phatjo911 View Post
    Ugh the home prices in this town aren't really affected by the rest of the nation. It's a town with outrageous home prices but the schools are very excellent. There isn't a lot of negotiating room in this town so...

Anyway we now know that the roof leaks because of the ice dam created. It never leaks when it's raining so the water that is retained is leaking.

How hard of a fix is this? Where should I be looking at for the problem?

Thanks...
    My towns sort of the same. Cold Spring Harbor on LI (the **** Coast) is within the top best 20 public schools in the entire country. Prices here have dropped a lot though...probably b/c they shot up beyond reason the past half dozen years...anyway.

Ice daming I'd have to say isn't 100% the fault of the roofer although a good roofer would have installed Water and Ice Shield around the entire perimeter of the roof before roofing it. I'd have to say alot of builders don't use it.....unfortunatly.
    Thats what you need.....but with that said let me say this as well. Be sure in the fall your gutters and gutters are 100% clean so water flows down them freely.
    Also and probably MOST important is..the insulation in your attic has to be installed properly at the eaves or empty spots anywhere else on the roof so NO heat escapes...the change in temperatures is also a cause of ice damming outside. You want no heat escaping from the living part of the house into your unheated attic. the heat will melt the snow at the eaves and turn to water stopping at your gutters where it will freeze.

There are a number of methods to melt the snow on the roof such as heating coils that get zig zagged at the bottom of the roof where the damming occurs. there are many methods so you'llhave to Google it to see what you might feel most comfortable with.
    Id shoot for the preventitive RIGHT WAY first which would be to have a GOOD insulation pro make sure the insul is installed properly.
    Good luck...let us know what happens
    andy
    Last edited by andybuildz; 03-05-2009 at 06:49 PM.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו