+ Reply to Thread

Question Threshold door looks wrong (picture)

Please tell me if this look weird to anyone else. The contractor who installed my floors insisted this is the way the threshold is supposed to look. But it looks weird to me. The board in front of the door looks out of place. It seems to me it should either go all the way to the walls (it is in a hall) or stop inside the frame of the door. The way it is now looks unfinished and sloppy. He swears if he changes it I won't like it. Any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2508.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	2228   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2507.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	2230   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2509.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	2231  

Default Re: Threshold door looks wrong (picture)

Technically, the transition strip should have been kept within the sides of the jamb legs, however, in that confined space going wall to wall is probably the most aesthetic. Cut a piece of scrap to fit each side and set the pieces in place and have a look to see which you like better.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Threshold door looks wrong (picture)

To me it's a no brainer...wall to wall!
    I suppose there's no right or wrong way but it looks tacky to me. Not very crafstmanship like.
    I attached a photo of one of the floors I finished in my own home (circa:1680). The threshold there I went wall to wall. I can't find a finished photo..sorry...might be one in my website below.
    Not only did I go wall to wall but I went under the door andnotched it out so it looked good from the other side as well with the door closed. finishing touches make or break the project in my thinking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finishing floors.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	2235  
    Last edited by andybuildz; 03-05-2009 at 11:43 AM.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו