+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pipes banging

Default pipes banging

my water suppply pipes in the basement make a loud banging noise a few times during the day and night. The noise occurs sometimes hours after any water is used so im guessing its not water hammer. Also the toilet mechanism has been replaced so its not the toilet tank leaking. Any idea what it could be?

Default Re: pipes banging

do you have a forced hot water heating system? it could be air in the pipes or maybe the circulator pumps turning on and off.

You cab also get water hammer caused by outside water usage. If you are on a main with a factory that uses large quantities of water, their running and shutting off water can cause water hammer down the line.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for the responses. First off I have a forced air heating so that cant be the problem. I dont know of anything nearby that uses a large amount of water as I live in a residential area. but that being said what would be a possible solution to the problem?

I would think a water hammer arrestor on the main line if it is the cause.
    Jack

Oh, one other thing, do you have an automatic ice maker?
    Jack

No ice maker. But I dont know if it matters but I do have a tankless water heater. And on the tankless I do have an expansion tank. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks!

Do you or any of your neighbors have automatic sprinkler systems? I have seen this cause water hammer. I agree with Jack a house arrestor on your incoming line should do the trick

No sprinklers that i know of. Beside its the dead of winter here. What exactly is the whole house arrestor. I am familiar with the small kind but none of them seem to be adequate for a whole house or are they?

Likewise, I've never noticed any product marketed as a "whole-house water hammer arrestor." I would think an expansion tank like that on your water heater would do the job when placed on the main line.

I'm wondering if it's possibly an expansion/contraction issue. A while after hot water is used, the pipe cools off and contracts. While it's contracting, it's bound up in the holes it passes through in the studs or joists. Eventually, the tension on the pipes overcomes the binding, and it suddenly releases with a loud BANG!. Kind of like the San Andreas Fault, if you will.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 03-13-2009 at 10:28 AM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.