+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: White, Black and Red wire question

Thanks for the quick response.

In looking at the 3-way diagrams, I feel that I have not accurately described the issue. There is only 1 wall switch that controls this fixture, so would that make it a 2 way?

My 1st guess when I saw the wiring in the junction box was to connect black to black, white to white, and ground to red.

When I looked behind the wall switch, I noticed that the only wires going into the switch are black and red (there IS a white wire in the box where the switch is, but it's not connected to the switch anywhere). This is ultimately what threw me and sent up the red flags.

Based your description the red capped wire is the switched feed for the light. --- at the ceiling j-box connect the light fixture black to the capped red --- light fixture white to the other white wires in the j-box.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

MVRal11,

There is no neutral in your switch, only hot in and hot out (when the switch is turned on). The black in your switch is the hot wire and the red is hot when the switch is licked. Connect as canuk said.

Talking Re: White, Black and Red wire question

THANK you both so much for the advice. It was dead on, and I'm glad I came here because had I guessed, I would have guessed wrong.

Just because I like knowing the ins and outs of things, why would the j-box have two whites, two black and only one red?

Similarly, why would the accompanying wall switch have a black and a red that attach to the switch and have a white that I can see in the box but isn't used for anything?

Thanks again!

To answer your questions briefly:

1. The junction box has 2 blacks (one hot in and the other to continue to another fixture), 2 whites (same purpose) and a red (hot from the switch).

2. At the switch, the electrician ran romax from the j-box to the switch, with a black and a white (which he didn't use) and a red for the return. I usually don't install a red, but use the white for the return, then put a sticker on it explaining that it's used as hot to the fixture when the switch is on.

Clear?

Quote Originally Posted by MVRal11 View Post
    THANK you both so much for the advice. It was dead on, and I'm glad I came here because had I guessed, I would have guessed wrong.

Just because I like knowing the ins and outs of things, why would the j-box have two whites, two black and only one red?

Similarly, why would the accompanying wall switch have a black and a red that attach to the switch and have a white that I can see in the box but isn't used for anything?

Thanks again!
    Glad it worked out.

As dj1 mentions -- the constant electrical feed that originates from the service panel happens to be routed up in the ceiling. That ceiling juntion box is the point for you to access the wires to connect and mount your fixture to.

In order for you to remotely control the light ( turning on & off ) a wall switch is used --- instead of a pull chain light fixture. The electricity needs to be extended down to the wall switch. In this case the black wire is extending the constant hot supply ( hence the 2 blacks connected in the ceiling ).

The red is the switched hot lead and is extended back to the ceiling --- turning the light on & off ( hence only 1 red wire ).

It's likely the white ( neutral ) is being extended down to the switch location for future use ( hence the 2 whites connected in the ceiling j-box ) --- which if I recall is something that's in the newer NEC requirement and maybe code in your area.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush