+ Reply to Thread

Question "Venting" interior door

Hi all, Having cats, we keep our bedroom door closed to keep them out as the wife collects "Dreamcatchers" of different designs. Most have feathers dangling from them our male cat can not leave alone so we keep the door closed.
    This brings up my dilema. While the furnace runs, I can feel a strong blast of air coming out from under the door. There is no air return in the bedroom. I thought, maybe installing a vent of some sort in the door would allow the air to flow more freely. The problem here is, the door is "hollow core". I don't want it to look tacky.
    Anyone have any suggestion here? Some sort of vent that is self-supporting ?

Rich Kelly

Wink Re: "Venting" interior door

Hi, I have cats also, one thing you might try before cutting into your door, buy the cats something similar to the dreamcatchers to play with and hang the dreamcatchers where it is a little difficult for the cats to get to. The result being the toy you buy them could get their attention and leave the dreamcatchers alone, especially if you hang them in a place where they have less chance of reaching them(the ceiling light fixture for example).
    If you have a solid core door, you could cut the bottom panel and install a vent to handle the air flow. If the door is hollow you will have to build a framework for inside the door so you have something to screw the vent to. Good Luck.

Calcats

Wink Re: "Venting" interior door

Hi, I have cats also, one thing you might try before cutting into your door, buy the cats something similar to the dreamcatchers to play with and hang the dreamcatchers where it is a little difficult for the cats to get to. The result being the toy you buy them could get their attention and leave the dreamcatchers alone, especially if you hang them in a place where they have less chance of reaching them(the ceiling light fixture for example).
    If you have a solid core door, you could cut the bottom panel and install a vent to handle the air flow. If the door is hollow you will have to build a framework for inside the door so you have something to screw the vent to. Good Luck.
    P.S. the more you keep the cats out of your bedroom the more of a challenge it is for them to want to see what is in there that is different from the other rooms. you might start weening them into the room after you re-hang the dreamcatchers.
    Calcats

Default Re: "Venting" interior door

Often doors are unercut 3/4" to an inch to allow air flow. That might help some if the present undercut is minimal.