+ Reply to Thread

Default My landlord is upset about the heat

Ok me and fiancee have a 2 family home. There are two bedrooms down stairs and the apt is approx 1,000 sq ft. and their bill has been about 190-$200 a month. This is the gas bill for heat and hot water. We live on Long Island, New York. I know it has been rally cold but it seems high. They keep their heat on 69 during the night and shut if off during the day. I check the hot water heat and it is set at 120 degrees. Is this normal?

Thank you very very much for any input.

Default Re: My landlord is upset about the heat

Hello Horsegoer,

I'm on the Island myself and from the information you provided that is a very high natural gas bill.

I'll use my home for a comparison. approx 1,800sqft. with four occupants. I have natural gas for heating, hot water, stove top and clothes dryer.

House is very well insulated, very efficient heating system, quality windows.
    Home is heavily used and sometimes it's like grand central station, lot's of cooking, laundry, hot showers etc.. people over all the time. I have three heating zones and for the most part they are kept at around 68-70, never higher. Hot water is HOT (wife likes it that way)

Monthly gas bill on average is approx $110.

I meant my tenant. What should I do? We have new windows... Not great quality. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by horsegoer View Post
    Ok me and fiancee have a 2 family home. There are two bedrooms down stairs and the apt is approx 1,000 sq ft. and their bill has been about 190-$200 a month. This is the gas bill for heat and hot water. We live on Long Island, New York. I know it has been rally cold but it seems high. They keep their heat on 69 during the night and shut if off during the day. I check the hot water heat and it is set at 120 degrees. Is this normal?

Thank you very very much for any input.
    The tennant's apartment has their own gas meter ? ---- based on the consumption from that meter reading the bill is $190-$200 a month ?
    Is that normal ?

I would say it seems high --- normal however --- it just may be.
    Perhaps they take many long hot showers , do lots of washing , maybe the apartment isn't well insulated with lots of heat loss. In other words , lifestyle and /or poor insulation --- then one could say it would be normal based on that.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I agree with canuk---different lifestyles & & heating systems & the physical apt itself can lead to marked changes in gas usage.

I'm not sure I read your post correctly---are you saying you live upstairs in one apt of approx 1000 sq.ft. & the tenant lives downstairs in a similar size apt.??

Are there separate furnaces/boilers for each apt.???. Or is it one boiler with separate zones??? Is it new heating equipment or over 10-15 years old???? Is the domestic hot water made from separate hot water heaters, or all in one boiler???

I take it this is forced hot water heat (as opposed to forced hot air)???

When you say the HW is 120 degrees, do you mean the domestic supply, or the hot water for the baseboards????

120 degrees is ok for domestic HW but unless the system is radiant heat, the normal boiler water temp is approx 180 degrees when the unit is delivering heat.

Can you post the btu/hr output of the boiler/boilers (usually posted on the brand ID tag on the front of the boiler)????

How much are you paying per therm or cubic foot for gas in your area???

Please post back.
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 02-11-2011 at 04:23 PM.

All good info provided above by last two posts.

There are so many variables involved, too many to list. My home and fuel usage is just an example of another household. In now way can you compare mine with yours since it's not an apple to apple comparison. My intention is to give you some sort of reference. Even if we had the same exact homes our fuel usage would differ.

The best way to answer your question is to contact Nationalgrid for a participating contractor to do an Energy Audit. This will probably cost approximately $250, but it will be money well spent.

All the questions and concerns in the last two posts will be addressed and much more.

Then and only then will you have accurate information to base your energy consumption on.

Please keep us posted if you do decided to have this inspection done.
    Last edited by LIHR; 02-11-2011 at 10:12 PM.