+ Reply to Thread

Default Bi-Fold Door issues

We are remodeling the guest bedroom by removing the baseboards and then staining the entry door and the bi-fold closet doors. We bought the new hardware to install the doors and it they are up and working fine. However, the doors will not close completely. the hinges are installed correctly and the screw heads are flush with the hinge, but the doors will not shut flush. I've been racking my brain over this for most of the evening and can't figure it out. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Bi-Fold Door issues

Please clarify, are the doors not shutting fully, or are the faces not flush once closed?

If they're not shutting fully, then either the doors are too wide for the opening, or you don't have the hinge points adjusted right. If the face of one door is proud of the other, then slightly bend the tangs on the bottom corner where the doors meet until the doors are flush with each other. That is what those tangs are for. If you've got a severe problem with the doors being out of flush, then check your hinge points and door opening for square and plumb, it's possible you'll have to move a hinge point to even up the doors.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Actually it's both. Thanks for the advice. The door opening isn't the problem, so I'll check the hinges points again. When you say hinge points adjusted, what do you mean.

The hardware pack didn't come with tangs, but I kept the old ones. I'll see if that helps.

Thanks!

There is a bracket in the top and bottom of the jamb where the pegs on the top and bottom corner of the door engage and pivot. These brackets have multiple locations where the pegs can be located, try going closer to the jamb. If you've got them as close to the jamb as possible and still operate, and the doors won't close flat, it's likely that the doors are too wide for the opening and will need to be cut down slightly. Start at the pivot points first, then we'll talk about trimming the door.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!