+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Popcorn Ceiling

Brenda Guest

Default Popcorn Ceiling

I bought a new place with popcorn ceilings. I want to remove the ugly popcorn effect and i got instructions on how to do it. however, i was told that there are heating coils underneath the drywall in the ceiling. Does any one know what the purpose of popcorn ceiling is, other than for decorative (ughhhh) purposes? In other words, if I remove the popcorn would it damage the heating coils in any way? thanks you.

Unregistered Guest

Smile Re: Popcorn Ceiling

yes the popcorn ceiling was a look back in the day -- as for the heating coils if they are behind the dry wall then if you do not go through dry wall your good.

Default Re: Popcorn Ceiling

Popcorn ceilings are done because they are cheap and quick. The drywall is little more than fire taped then the texture is shot on heavily to hide the seams and nails.

Be prepared to do lots of surface repairs once the popcorn is removed. There could be asbestos in the popcorn, depending on the age of the house. If you need or want any tips on removal, just ask.

Unregistered Guest

Smile Re: Popcorn Ceiling

Popcorn ceilings were for the looks, sound deadening properties, and mainly because they are cheaper and less labor-intensive than a properly finished smooth ceiling. If the texture was applied in the 80's or later, you shouldn't have to worry about asbestos. Also, the heating coils should not be of any concern as the sheet rock is probably 1/2 inch thick.

The easiest and cleanest way to remove the texture is to:
    1. Spray the texture with water using a garden sprayer or hand sprayer. Use enough water to saturate the texture but not too much to saturate the sheet rock. This will also eliminate any dust.

2. Use a plastic (not metal) sc****r. A metal sc****r will gouge the sheetrock more easily resulting in more time spent repairing it for final finish. Find a plastic sc****r with rounded corners that is about 4 to 5 inches long.

3. Use a large pan to catch the scrapings. I generally hold the pan directly below the sc****r so all of the texture falls into the pan.

4. Be extra careful at the seams, corners and walls to not damage the tape.

After removing the texture, I repair all seams and skim coat the entire ceiling to provide a flat, uniform finish. Ceilings generally show more flaws than vertical surfaces so take your time and get it perfect before adding your paint.

Default Re: Popcorn Ceiling

Hoooaaalld your horses a sec.

I ain't saying I've seen it all but back in the 80's I installed miles and miles of radiant heat cable on the bottom side of the ceiling which was then given a popcorn spray finish.

I can guarantee that you will damage this type of heat cable, if it is indeed what you have, if you try and sc**** off the texture. I have never seen or installed a heating cable system which was behind a layer of drywall, not to try and say it does not exist.