+ Reply to Thread

Default Insulating attic.

I have been reading a lot of the posts on insulation. We have a 1920 house that was insulated a few years ago with blown in insulation. The contracter insulated only the areas of the house we use. He created a barrier around the outside areas of the upstairs walls encapsulating it from the attic. My question is that the uninsulated areas of the attic get quite hot (even with an electric vent and roof vents). The blower for our central air is housed in part of the attic without insulation. We have already had to replace the motor after only two years of use. Should we insulate the attic itself? Would that keep the temperature down in there? If so, what is the best way to do it? The floors are already insulated, but the exterior walls and roof are not.

Default Re: Insulating attic.

Sounds like when the contractor blewn in insulation they covered up the soffit vents.

I think the situation was there were no soffit vents and he put in the roof vents (one a humidity/temp activated fan and the other a passive vent) to make up for that.

The blower for our central air is housed in part of the attic without insulation. We have already had to replace the motor after only two years of use. Should we insulate the attic itself? Would that keep the temperature down in there? If so, what is the best way to do it? The floors are already insulated, but the exterior walls and roof are not.
    I've been reading a lot of information saying that this would be a good thing to do especially since your A/C unit is located in this space. This does reduce the temperature inside this space which is less strain on the A/C as well as reducing the heat gain in the summer and the heat loss in colder seasons.