+ Reply to Thread

Post Replace ceiling drywall

I have had to replace a sheet of drywall on my dining room ceiling due to water damage (bath above). I took down one full sheet and have replaced it. My question is about finishing. I now have factory edges on both sides of the new sheet that match up to the old finished joints so there is about 1/8 inch difference in thickness. Should i just mud and tape over this or put a layer of mud on the new side first to get the new side to match , let dry and then tape? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Default Re: Replace ceiling drywall

I'd knock off the old mud that is on the old drywall to get to the new drywall thickness and then tape/remud. Then you won't be feathering out as far from the joint to get it to look good.

That was my first thought until I tried to srcape it off. Most of it will not come off. I dont mind the extra step of leveling if its ok to do that.

too bad it is being stubborn. usually if you can get to the tape you can pull at the tape and the mud will come with it and then scraping off enough of the remaining mud to sort of level things out right at the seam is fairly easy.

you will want tape across the seam with mud under the tape as well as the normal layers of mud necessary to feather out the joint above the tape. i think one of the tricky parts will be to keep from getting air bubbles under the tape since that layer of mud will be thicker on one side of the seam than the other. maybe hot mud with fiberglass tape would work better than paper tape and joint compound because of that. others may chime in with an opinion on that suggestion.

I dont have a lot of experience with finishing but i was worried about the tape rippling on the side with more mud and now air bubbles that you mentioned. I like the idea of fiberglass and hot mud. i will just have to mix enough for one side at a time as i am pretty slow on the ceiling. thanks

I would use the fiberglass tape as suggested if you haven't done a lot of tapping, it is more forgiving and usually they are self adhisive. Have you tried wetting the existing mud with a damp sponge or sanding?