+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Energy Kinetics System 2000 review

I bought the ENERGY KINETICS SYSTEM 2000 OIL boiler (EK1) back in Aug. of 2008 and had it for 6 winter months. If you are thinking of getting one of these please read on as I can save you a lot time & effort in your choosing if you should get one or not. Go get a cup of coffee, this is going to be a long post! I'm doing this because I feel that after research on the web etc. my questions just were not being answered! BTW No to the poster that thought one of the "newbie‘s" might be a co. rep...no I'm just a homeowner that wants to help other homeowners, and that others won't have to go thru what I went thru!
    I started looking almost 8 months before I bought a boiler and did many many hours of web searches, reading blogs etc., looking at boiler lit and talking to 9 local heating contractors ( and getting bids) as well as 2 heating contractors that would never make a dime on me as I was too far away.
    The short ver. of the story is this...I ended up talking to a friends husband that owns a large oil co. in CT., they also install boilers & service them. It was too bad that he would not install mine as I was too far away for him, but the info I'm about to share is straight from an oil co. owner that wasn't going to see a dime in his pocket and had nothing to gain.
    He said that over the last 25+ yrs he had installed many diff. boilers, all kinds of controls and programmable thermostats etc, as far as he was concerned the Energy Kinetics System 2000 was the only thing that really did save his oil customers 100's of gallons of oil a year!
    He told me that he went thru his records from over the last 10 yrs. & looked at all the diff. brands of oil boilers (many of them listed in other posts on this topic) and the System 2000 was the clear winner. Some of the boilers he mentioned he didn't install, but the bottom line was some boilers, like the Buderus with the controller, saved some oil like 5-8 percent, but the System 2000 customers were saving 35-45 percent on oil consumption! He took into account the K factor for each year, as well as service records...so it wasn't a few min. of quick going over the numbers, but many hours of work to come to this conclusion.
    The next thing he said was to make sure I bought it from someone that can service it. The only thing was, as others have said, some oil co's I got quotes from also wanted me to buy the oil & expensive service contracts from them. One company went so far as to say if you don't buy oil from us you're on your own for service! (they were the highest bidder at over $10,000 & tried to get me to buy the Buderus to boot! gee maybe because they would sell more oil?) I was lucky to find a dealer that was close to me that didn't sell oil, just installed & serviced boilers....BTW I found this out from calling the Energy Kinetics co. directly in NJ...nice folks & very helpful too! (and yes a real American answers the phone!)
    I ended up getting the stainless steel 40 gal. hot water tank as I have acid water, as well as an extra zone valve as a back up and the "dummy" board in case the control board got zapped by a lightning strike or a power surge.
    I also needed a new oil tank as mine was well over due and was also 50 yrs old. After much research I bought a Roth tank that was shown on TOH. It's a plastic tank inside a metal one. The only issue I ran into was air in the line. The old tank took oil from the bottom but the Roth sucks it from a few inches above, which is good, as you never need to worry about crud getting into your burner or clogging the filter BUT...it also is easier for air to get into the line! I guess when the oil is delivered it creates a lot of air bubbles & foam in the tank. In my case the tank was moved from 50' away to 5' away, so it was even more of an issue. One day in Dec. I got an oil delivery and a few hours later my burner stopped working. Pushing the reset button didn't work...so my dealer had to come out to get the air out...nice guy didn't even charge for the service call. The solution was to put in a tiger loop (sp?), which takes out the air and self primes if need be.
    I also had a few issues right off the bat. This is kind of funny...After telling my wife how great it's going to be to finally have unlimited hot water for showers (it used last no more than 3 min., I had a tankless before.) She comes home from work after a long hard day the first day we got the System 2000 gets in the shower soaps up...and you guessed it, no hot water! I didn't hear the end of that for weeks! anyway...My dealer came right over and found a problem with a board or something on the hot water tank and replaced it.
    I also had an issue with one of my zones not working as the wiring to the 2 wire thermostat was backwards. I guess that stuff happens in 50 yr. old houses...so even if it's 90 deg out when you get it installed ck all the zones to make sure they work!
    As far as my savings...I have, for the last 50 yrs, always got 2 deliveries of oil of about 250 gal each in Jan.& Feb, this year I only got one delivery each month! 500 gallons saved in 2 months, that's great in my book!
    I also save $20 a month on electric as the system doesn't go on every 2 hours like the old burner did to keep the water hot all the time and there is only one small circulator and not the 2 big ones I had. This was a bonus I wasn't expecting! During the warm months the burner only went on 2 times a day rather than 12 times.
    I also found out later from my dealer that on an older round type thermostat, to move the anticipator (the little metal arrow at the bottom of the unit) all the way to the right, or for least amount of time. This helped even out the heating.
    Another thing I found out from a phone call to the co. is not to drop the temp. more than 3 or 4 degrees in a day as it will take a long time for the house to heat back up. If you need to do more of a temp. swing than that, then get a programmable thermostat and have it programed to the temp you want 45 min before you come home.
    BTW I also noticed our basement is colder because the boiler does not hold any heat, so if you're relying on heat from your boiler to take the chill out of your basement you better put a zone down there. Just so you know the system comes ready to install up to 4 zones plus your hot water zone, just cap off the zones you don't need & add zones later as you need them.
    Other things I like... it's VERY quiet, we have a movie theatre for the kids in our basement as well as my high end stereo (I'm into Lp's if that gives you any hint)and it's so nice not hearing that darn burner anymore!
    I had the optional air intake from outside, this helps in an older home as it doesn't suck in cold air thru cracks in the house to feed air to the burner as well as making it quieter.
    And just so you know, I also got the chimney (stainless steel) liner thru Energy Kinetics, they make a very well made liner & cap, much nicer than the ones on line or even from my local tin shop and the cost was about the same.
    I would also check into any state & federal rebates. I got a CT state rebate of $500...it was a pain to fill out & took 2 months to get...but hey $500...it was worth it.
    So, what would I change? as I said at the beginning I have acid water and I wish I could have gotten all brass fittings & tubing and no copper for all of the domestic hot water lines & connections, but that's all that I can think of...maybe a little better quality control on the hot water board...being picky here...
    Well...I told you it was going to be long and I hope it helps you make your decision... to me it's a no brainer once you know all the facts...and as a friend of mine always says... that's my story and I'm stickn' to it...good luck!
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Well it's been a year & 4 months with my Energy Kinetics system 2000, so I thought I'd do an update on my LONG first review.
    I first want to say I'm very happy with the boiler, it's been great for both heat & hot water & quietness. As far as oil savings, absolutely wonderful! I saved 260 gallons of oil in one year! It actually would have been much more, as it was computed with just simple math over an exact years time, the K factor & other things were not included in the number. When I talked to my oil guy he was very impressed as the winter before was very mild in CT so he figured it was closer to 300-325 gallons saved if the winter's were the same. I also must say we are taking much longer showers now, and I now keep the heat at 68-70 rather than 66, and I also am heating part of the basement...so the savings would be more than that! I just went from Sept3 09 to Dec. 29 and only used 189 gal. of oil in 4 months, I usually get 2, 200-250 gallon deliveries in that time!
    Last edited by lrlvideo; 12-26-2009 at 02:49 PM. Reason: fix spelling of Buderus, update info

Default Re: Energy Kinetics System 2000 review

System 2000 has been installed in my house since 1996. It does indeed save oil and is a very efficient system. I have owned the house since 2001 and have had no problems with it. The original owner did have a problem shortly after it was installed and a "card" had to be replaced. I have self-serviced it myself- vacume, oil filters etc. When oil hit almost $4.00 a gallon, I installed a electric water heater on a timer within the system and now shut down the boiler in the warm weather months and only use the electric water heater for hot water during that time saving on oil as the boiler is not needed in the summer. One mistake the original installer made was putting the original water tank on the basement floor instead of on blocks and it looks like is starting to rust out. I am now looking at options to replace this tank. I use approx. 500 gals of oil in a 2400 sq ft house with 3 zones. I supplement heating with a wood burning fireplace in the winter when it is 30 degrees or less.

Did you ever find a replacement? I am doing some research to find one myself.
    Looking for Hidden Content .

How much did you end up paying for the System 2000?

sorry,
    new at this.
    Irlvideo-how much did you end up paying for the system.
    I live on Long Island and received a quote from Petro for over
    $10,000.00

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jpk72697 View Post
    sorry,
    new at this.
    Irlvideo-how much did you end up paying for the system.
    I live on Long Island and received a quote from Petro for over
    $10,000.00

Thanks
    Petro is not the only System 2000 installer on LI,there are a few smaller independents.Shop around.

I am a new user of the System 2000 since August 2011. So far we are very happy with it. Very quiet and and over 300 gallons of oil savings through February this year. It was as expensive as the previous user said around $10,000. I do want to point out for anyone who is installing a high efficiency boiler that you will also probably need a chimney liner or special venting of some sort. The quote for the chimney liner is about $2500. An additional cost of a new boiler. While I do recommend it if you need a new boiler, it is very expensive and will take years to recoup all the costs involved.

Unhappy Re: Energy Kinetics System 2000 review

Sorry to say that we have had continual troubles with our System 2000 since it was installed 6 years ago. For the entire first year we were not getting heat in some areas of the house. To document this, we had to lay thermometers all around the house and keep going around recording the readings. Finally the installer came back and adjusted some of the valves.

Yes, the System 2000 saves oil, but various parts keep failing. We've either had no heat, or no hot water, or water leaking/spraying all over the room, or the unit making constant "restart" noises. The money we've spent on repairs that aren't covered by the warranty/service contract is considerable. Last night the circulator failed for the second time in less than a year. It would have caused a major flood if we hadn't discovered it at 1:00 in the morning.

We have called and written to the manufacturer and they are somewhat helpful. For example, they sent us a replacement part that we would have otherwise had to pay for. Our service contract is with the furnace company that installed the system, not with our oil company. Unfortunately, we have gotten to know them really well by having to call them so many times.

I went with a system 2000 after looking at Consumers Reports which gave it a best buy back in '92. When my house was built, 1993, I had it installed and it worked well. I cannot recommend it and wish I had gone with a simpler system or propane. I needed to replace the top 8' of my metalbestos chimney after 10 yrs due to sulfuric acid destruction (not system 2000's fault, I know), then replaced the circuit board twice (three times if you count the lightning strike, but at least that one was paid for) at the tune of 1000 bucks each time. After only 19 years the back wall had disintegrated and yup, it was $1000 to replace (I didn't though). So after 20 yrs I went with a propane system, got rid of the two tanks in the basement and now don't have the yearly maintenance, the chimney repairs, and the oil bill. Very happy with my new boiler so far. Do not get a system 2000.