+ Reply to Thread

Question Tearing up tile in kitchen - is there an easier way

I'm tearing up this ugly tile that looks dirty all the time no matter if it's freshly mopped. Don't think the owner before me had it sealed and the whole kitchen is a crap job.

Never taken up this much tile before, is there an easier way? They are red oak tongue and grove underneath. Not sure yet what is going back down, but the tile adds an inch in height from other rooms as it is.

Default Re: Tearing up tile in kitchen - is there an easier way

I'd recommend a rotohammer with a spade or chisel tip on it. With all that mastic under the durrock, whatever is under there is probably hosed already. If you're trying to salvage what's under there, then skip the rotohammer and stick with what you've got.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

i've done a ton of those, not a fun job but the rotohammer is the way to go, you can rent one for the day for probably less than $40.

only advice i can give is to first get up all the tile then switch to the cementboard when you're done. that way you can at least use a shovel to pick up the tile.