+ Reply to Thread

Default Cheap Paint Rollers and Brushes!

Okay, well I think I've discovered that it's not worth using cheap painting tools.

So what are the best kind of paint rollers and brushes to buy?

Also, I'm painting a sheetrocked wall a light creamy yellow color. I've applied one coat of primer and it seems to have covered the sheetrock pretty well. Is one coat of primer enough? Is there any good reason to apply two coats?

Default Re: Cheap Paint Rollers and Brushes!

Cheap tools are never a good idea. The best brushes are Purdy or Baker. As with any good tool, the way it's used and cared for will make the difference in how long it lasts. With proper care these two brands will likely last the average DIY'r a lifetime.

Rollers, I don't know of any "names", but there's definitely a difference in the quality and you can fairly well gauge that quality by the price if buying from the typical MegaMart. If you want to skip all the guess work, go to a bonafied paint dealer such as Kelly Moore or Sherwin Williams, to name two. They will have good stuff and knowledgeable staff to help you choose the right tools for the job and type of paint you're using.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I know that LOWE'S sells PURDY brushes . I have been using those for years . Excellent quality and if you take care of them , they will last a homeowner nearly forever .

At our store...and from my use:

The best roller-sleeves:
    Purdy White-Doves, or Wooster Pro-DooZ.

Best brushes:
    Purdy "Dales" and "Glides". Purdy "Chinex-bristle" are VERY good.
    Corona brushes are even a little better! Harder to find dealers though...
    (I'm thinking of bringing Corona's in!)

Roller-frames:
    Anything OVER $6!!!
    Make sure it has a 5/16" frame-rod. 1/4" frames are too "bendy"...harder to finesse the pressure on either end.
    Threaded internal METAL necks will stay tighter to a pole. Plastic internal threads loosen-up too fast.

1 or 2 coats of primer???
    Depends!
    * With crappy covers/brushes and technique, I'd do 2 coats!
    * 1 coat's fine...IF applied without pushing primer too thin, AND using quality equipment.
    * Even applied perfectly, I wouldn't push a primer on new sheetrock further than 350sf/gal. New sheetrock, ESPECIALLY the seams, is like priming quicksand!

Faron

Faron, thanks for the input. You've always got good recommendations.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks everyone, for the good advice about brushes. One coat of primer seemed to do the trick and I wasn't stingy with it.

I did however, seem to make a mistake by pulling the blue painter tape off too soon ... isn't overnight long enough?

Quote Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
    Thanks everyone, for the good advice about brushes. One coat of primer seemed to do the trick and I wasn't stingy with it.

I did however, seem to make a mistake by pulling the blue painter tape off too soon ... isn't overnight long enough?
    Overnight is actually too long. It is best to pull masking as soon as possible after painting so that the crusting over paint doesn't stick to the tape and pull. Besides, no matter how well you apply the tape, invariably you'll get some bleeding under the edge that needs to be cleaned up. It's easier to work with wet paint than it is dry paint.