+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Tile Wood Backboard?

Hi All,

I am making improvements to a 1950s farmhouse and have a bathtub shower with 3 walls. The front and sidewall have drywall behind the tiles which I am replacing with cement backer board.

The rear of the tub/shower wall is a sheet of wood that is the back of a bathroom cabinet. I've removed all the tile and cleaned the wood down but am not sure of the best way to seal the wood so that I can tile it.

Thanks.

Default Re: Tile Wood Backboard?

Quote Originally Posted by IRISHREDSC View Post
    Hi All,

I am making improvements to a 1950s farmhouse and have a bathtub shower with 3 walls. The front and sidewall have drywall behind the tiles which I am replacing with cement backer board.

The rear of the tub/shower wall is a sheet of wood that is the back of a bathroom cabinet. I've removed all the tile and cleaned the wood down but am not sure of the best way to seal the wood so that I can tile it.

Thanks.
    You'll be better off with a cement backerboard so I'd suggest you use
    1/4" backerboard over the ply. How thick is the plywood? You could use construction adhesive and a few screws. Use the appropriate size screws so as not to come out the other side and damage anything. Or you could just use some braces till the glue dries. This is how I'd do it.
    If you want to tile over the ply itself you could.
    I see no reason to seal the wood especially being it was already tiled.
    I'd use a good thinset to install my tilework.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו