+ Reply to Thread

Question hot water tank pilot and stove pilot keep going out

my hot water tank pilot and stove pilot keep going out.Im tired of relighting them what could be the problem?

Smile Re: hot water tank pilot and stove pilot keep going out

The new hot water tanks now have an enclosed firing chamber to prevent explosions if you are washing something in gas or solvent in same room- evidently a problem from an idiot's lawsuit.
    You have to brush and vacuum clean screen on sides and bottom of burn chamber -take off side screen, so it gets enough air. In most cases I've run across, there is a dryer close by, so make sure dryer is properly vented, sealed, keep clean. you could gouge out holes in bottom to prevent problem in future, but may void warranty.

Default Re: hot water tank pilot and stove pilot keep going out

i would not gouge holes to over ride a safety feature.

Do you have anything else in your house that runs on Gas?? It may be the incoming gas pressure, code in MA. is incoming side should be 7 inches of water column and 3.5 on the Manifold side. Unusually cold weather can cause the water column to be less which will cause your pilots to blow out or not stay lit. Did this start happening to both at the same time, if yes then it could be the gas pressure. It could also be that your pilot tubes have dirt inside them, not to common but it does happen. At any rate if you know someone with a Manometer which is used for checking water column it wouldn't hurt to have both units checked. I don't know what type of ignition they use but it may also be your thermocouples, have them checked as well. Good Luck

NEVER WORK ON A GAS APPLIANCE UNLESS YOU HAVE BEEN TRAINED TO DO SO, A COUPLE YEARS AGO A GUY IN MA. CALLED THE GAS CO. BECAUSE HE SMELLED GAS BUT COULDN'T WAIT AND TRIED TO FIX IT HIMSELF. HE BLEW UP HIS GIRLFRIENDS HOUSE AND KILLED HIMSELF IN THE PROCESS, IT'S JUST LIKE A BOMB IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING.
    Last edited by Sten; 02-10-2011 at 08:38 AM. Reason: MORE INFO

Quote Originally Posted by kfixit View Post
    The new hot water tanks now have an enclosed firing chamber to prevent explosions if you are washing something in gas or solvent in same room- evidently a problem from an idiot's lawsuit.
    You have to brush and vacuum clean screen on sides and bottom of burn chamber -take off side screen, so it gets enough air. In most cases I've run across, there is a dryer close by, so make sure dryer is properly vented, sealed, keep clean. you could gouge out holes in bottom to prevent problem in future, but may void warranty.
    Very strange.
    Also, gouge out holes ?!?!?
    Not a very good idea.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

If nothing has been added or altered within the home and this issue suddenly appeared affecting both appliances then I would suspect a supply problem.
    Perhaps the utility is having issues with pressure as Sten mentioned or you have an issue at the meter or the regulator. Check to see if the regulator isn't covered in ice --- otherwise call the gas utility to have it checked out.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush