+ Reply to Thread

Default Kitchen Windowsill Wood

What type of wood should I use for a new windowsill in my remodeled kitchen? I want to stain/finish it to match my cabinets. What type of board do I buy to ensure quality for this interior surface but knowing it will have some moisture near the sink and window. Also what type of poly finish is best for this type of application?

Default Re: Kitchen Windowsill Wood

If you are trying to stain it to match your kitchen cabinets you should try to use the same wood as the cabinets are made from. You may be able to get some stain from the cabinet maker to match them. As for Poly if its going to get wet you can use a spar varnish which is often used in outdoor projects and boat building. Good luck with your project.

Mike

Just a suggestion, but I have seen kitchen window sills made from the same material as the counter tops and it had looked great. Also it functions very well in the wet location. Thought I would mention it here since others browsing may be remodeling and it may be a direction they want to go with.

Thanks for the info y'all. We wanted to have the quartz countertop match the window sill but did not think of that at the time of countertop install. Now, the installer is MIA and the 'big box' home improvement center is unable to help us get someone to make a piece to match for the window. Every effort to contact other installers has failed as well. Frustrating! Thanks for the advice on the wood also.

Ah the fun dealing with the big box stores.

As mentioned above the stain can be ordered from the cabinet manufacture. That is a basic item that is always ordered with my cabinets along with a can of the finishing coat.

Any good cabinet manufacture will have available stock in various sizes that is pre-finished to match your cabinets and can be milled for for most anything. Any good carpenter can make it work.

Too bad the installer is mia, they probably had a scrap piece that would have been big enough to make into a windowsill.

For once I managed to think of getting a piece of scrap from our installer early on in our remodel. I made it into a drainboard that the dish rack sits on. Ours was the "corian-like" material, not real stone so I was able to work with it myself with regular woodworking tools.