+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tiling a shower

Default Tiling a shower

I am getting ready to tile my shower floor, walls and ceiling. In what order should I tile? Any other tips or web pages that will help?

Tom

Default Re: Tiling a shower

ok, here's the order. floor pan first, then your mud job on the bottom sloped to the drain. next install cement backer board or hardyboard on the walls so that they overlap the showerpan. next tile the floor first and grout, then you can do the walls last. the wall tile should sit on top of the floor tile. keep in mind that, especially if the framing is new as the wood dries out, that grout cracks might develop on the wall corners and where the floor and walls meet. sometimes it happens quickly, sometimes they develop over the first year or two. that's why those intersections often are caulked or if you use a latex additive to the grout it will help with the cracking and give the grout some flexibility.

www.johnbridge.com is a very good tile information website. Great discussion board to help with projects.

Thanks for the reply, still wondering at what point I tile the ceiling, before the walls or after?

Tom

ceiling before walls, it's easier to grout that way and it looks neater.

Thanks for the information, now I can get started.

Tom