+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 220 Line

Default 220 Line

Is it legal to connect 2-250/20A outlets to a single double breaker? There would never be a time when both outlets are used simultaneously. The outlets are spaced 2 ft. apart and I've run out of breaker panel room. Thanks

Default Re: 220 Line

Sure.............

At this point there is no limit on the number of outlets you can install on a line in the U.S.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by penguin View Post
    Is it legal to connect 2-250/20A outlets to a single double breaker? There would never be a time when both outlets are used simultaneously. The outlets are spaced 2 ft. apart and I've run out of breaker panel room. Thanks
    I agree with the other posters.
    Top notch advice presented.
    Just wondering aloud, what will the outlets be used for?

To just wondering aloud; 220 outlets will be used for woodworking machinery.

As a rule of thumb (and I'm sure there are exceptions), any appliance that is cord-and-plug connected and not permanently attached to the building is considered portable and therefore doesn't need a dedicated circuit; any appliance that is hard-wired requires a dedicated circuit.

One exception that I can think of is hard-wired electric baseboard or wall heaters -- it's fairly common to install multiple units on a single circuit, totaling up to 80% of the ampacity of the circuit.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.