+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Ground Wire to Water Meter

Hi,

I need to re-route the ground wire that runs from my fuse box to my water main. It is running through conduit, so I will have to temporarily disconnect the ground wire and pull it back through a portion of the conduit, then re-route and reattach it.

Is there any risk in doing this given that it's just a ground wire? Is there any reason that I would need to shut the ***** off to the box first? (It's in the basement, which would mean I'm working by flashlight at that point).

Thanks!!!

Default Re: Ground Wire to Water Meter

Howdy, is it the only ground wire? Before you touch it check it to rule out any shorting that has went to ground. Always a great idea to turn off the main breaker. When you say pulling it out be sure you do not energize it in the panel as the breaker bar is hot( with kill you dead *****) all the time unless you have the electrical meter pulled. Be sure there is a jumper wire isolating the meter at the water meter(if its inside your home) when your done.
    Last edited by Timothy Miller; 02-09-2011 at 10:37 AM. Reason: added info

Quote Originally Posted by mryant53 View Post
    Hi,

I need to re-route the ground wire that runs from my fuse box to my water main. It is running through conduit, so I will have to temporarily disconnect the ground wire and pull it back through a portion of the conduit, then re-route and reattach it.

Is there any risk in doing this given that it's just a ground wire? Is there any reason that I would need to shut the ***** off to the box first? (It's in the basement, which would mean I'm working by flashlight at that point).

Thanks!!!
    To be honest , for the small inconvenience of having to work with flash lights or battery p0wered lamps , you would safer to open the main breakers to disconnect the service.
    After that disconnect the ground connection at the panel then do the work you need to. Once that's completed , reconnect the ground at the panel and close the main breakers to restore service.
    The reason being , if you leave the service on and there happens to be a ground fault occuring ( which could happen at anytime ) somewhere in the house while you are working on the ground line , you are in the path of that fault current.
    The reason for disconnecting the ground from the panel, there maybe fault current from outside coming down the line which also puts you in the path.

Best to be safe.

Key is to have everything planned with all tools you need in place when you're ready to go. This way it won't atke as long.

Thanks guys.
    I think I can get it done pretty quickly, and can run juice to a few bright lights off a generator. Will definitely throw the main and disconnect from the box. Also can get the new conduit bent and in place before hand.