+ Reply to Thread

Question Geo-thermal heat pump systems

Anyone using these in an older house ? I am trying to research retrofitting and what needs to be done to ensure they work efficiently. I realize older houses are "leaky". I have blown in insulation in my walls. I plan on heavily insulating my attic, re-caulking windows and wrapping existing heat ducts. But, what else should I be doing? Or, know about? Thanks

Default Re: Geo-thermal heat pump systems

Sunny H:

You should also be trying to locate demonstration houses in your area that have had a geothermal unit installed so you can check it out in person.

These demo sites are usually sponsored by your State dept. of Energy or your local gas utility.

Depending on the state you're in, there is usually a considerable tax rebate for installing a geothermal system.

That being said, geothermal incurs a high price tag over other heating systems---it will cost you perhaps 5 to 7 times the $$$ to install one over a conventional gas-fired or oil fired forced hot air or forced hot water heating system---in the neighborhood of $30k to $40k.

If the room on your property lot is tiny, they will have to dig down vertically to get the proper coverage of the tubing---a larger lot allows horizontal trenches closer to the surface using a backhoe.

If you intend to stay at your current home for the next 10 years, & can finance the improvement, it may be a consideration---local banks these days are very tight with their money.

Google "residential geothermal heating installations" without the quotes to get more info.

http://www.fhp-mfg.com
    http://www.wisgeo.org
    http://www.terratherm.info
    http://www.econar.com
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 03-02-2009 at 07:23 PM.

I agree with Tech. Alot will depend on the ability to get to the ductwork (normally it will need to be enlarged) and the size of the electrical service (for the back up heat).

Howdy, i really like it in my brothers new home. His has 4 wells dug 100" and recirculate the water into his pond... I too have a old home and was considering it but decided instead to super insulate my home and added a solar atrium. And gas forced air back up heat. But if you have plenty of $$ burning a hole in you pocket....

Everything depends on many factors, but if I was building, I would do geothermal. Just me. Don't bust my balls, Sten.

Thumbs up Re: Geo-thermal heat pump systems

Well, I decided to go ahead and put a geothermal system in after doing a lot of research. The result? Fabulous!

My leaky old house has never been so warm and cosy in all the years we have owned it. It's amazing. Plus, I just got my first electric bill and it was so much less than we had been paying for oil. Last year's oil bill ran $5700 - owch! The bill we just got for January and February was only $657, as they are historically our worst months the total will be thousands less than before. And, that was without tightening up the house at all. We will be doing a lot of caulking, insulating ducts and the attic this summer so next winter should be even less. How nice!

Lots of HVAC people told me geothermal would not work in my antique house, but I kept looking until I found an installer with lots of geo experience and the references to back it up. After speaking to about six of his customers who all told me they were happy with their systems, I knew I had found the right person. I definitely recommend geothermal for old houses.

Do you mind telling us the cost of the system vs. quotes for a conventional one? Were you able to get any grants or tax credits?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny H View Post
    Well, I decided to go ahead and put a geothermal system in after doing a lot of research. The result? Fabulous!

My leaky old house has never been so warm and cosy in all the years we have owned it. It's amazing. Plus, I just got my first electric bill and it was so much less than we had been paying for oil. Last year's oil bill ran $5700 - owch! The bill we just got for January and February was only $657, as they are historically our worst months the total will be thousands less than before. And, that was without tightening up the house at all. We will be doing a lot of caulking, insulating ducts and the attic this summer so next winter should be even less. How nice!

Lots of HVAC people told me geothermal would not work in my antique house, but I kept looking until I found an installer with lots of geo experience and the references to back it up. After speaking to about six of his customers who all told me they were happy with their systems, I knew I had found the right person. I definitely recommend geothermal for old houses.

Geothermal is with out a doubt the way to go and if it's within ones budget Solar with Battery back up would be the icing on the cake.

My leaky old house has never been so warm and cosy in all the years we have owned it. It's amazing.
    That's great about you're decision and and you're pleased.
    I'm curious though, how does geothermal heat make it more warm and cozy?
    Afterall, heat is heat it's just a difference of using fuel or not to generate the heat.

Congratulations. The leaky old house - now here is an idea adding more insulation in the attic even better have an energy audit done and see how you can make it less leaky an less costly for a long long time.