+ Reply to Thread

Question Add soffit vents or not??

My attic is severely under-insulated. I am going to add additional insulation to bring the R-value up to the required number for my location. What I am not sure about is whether or not I have sufficient air circulation in the attic. The house does NOT have any soffit vents, but it does have ridge venting as well as 2 gable vents. Is this sufficient or should the soffit vents be added?

Default Re: Add soffit vents or not??

It is my understanding that ridge venting works best with soffit venting and worst with gable venting. Add as much evenly spaced soffit venting as you can. Continuous venting is best. Block the gable venting when you have that accomplished.

Do make sure the attic insulation does not touch the underside of the roof sheathing. You will trap water there and rot out your roof. Use those pre-formed foam pans especially designed for this purpose.

Howdy, do you have open rafter tails or an enclosed soffit? There are a few different vents you can install either way. Be sure if you add soffit vents not to allow the insulation to cover them up. The stryfoam baffels that one staples to the rafter work great to keep the vents open. Venting need 1 foot for every 300 sgft of attic floor space your local code may require more or less...
    Cross ventilation woks better having vents on at least 2 sides depending on how the roof is made. Cold air at the bottom of the attic enters and hot air exhausts at the peak... Consider adding "Atticfoil" while your up in the insulation ,playground. Its cheap and reflects the radiated heat back out of the attic ... Check out their web page great helpful videos....

What insulation to add. I have been researching the pros and cons and like the benefits of cellulose verses fiberglass because the cellulose is fire rated and insect and vermin treated and best of all retards air movement that reducing air movement and keeping heat in the house is a biggie for me.

Thank you both for replying.

I have an enclosed soffit, covered with aluminum. The attic floor space is 1,269 sq ft. Any particular type of vent you would suggest using? I'm assuming the larger, rectangular vents would be better rather than the small circular ones??

Thanks again!

Howdy, be sure you install vent materials that do not cause chemical reaction to your aluminum .... First try and located the soffit that is of same color and design an perforated for venting so it blends and is easy to install. However, need to determine if there is solid wood above the aluminum if so you will need to cut holes threw it. so in the attic can you see out to the soffit an is there space above the wall top plate for air to flow into the attic from the soffit bays? If so easy instillation of venting by installing vents. And the rectangular vents that are common and inexpensive are easy to install too.