+ Reply to Thread

Question Hot Water Heater Options

I recently had a new oil boiler with tankless coil installed in my home. Unfortunately, the hot water production is not adequate for our needs, so we'll need to get some type of hot water heater.

From what I understand, our options are an electric hot water (no gas in area),indirect hot water heater, and a booster(?).

What is the difference between these options? Is any one better than the others for my set-up? Experiences with any of them?

Thanks.

Default Re: Hot Water Heater Options

Indirect is the way to go. It will supply you with all your hot water need at a lower cost. Don't now what your hot water system is but in most cases the indirect is hooked up to a separate zone on your existing system. Talk to your heating contractor to get the proper size for your needs.

http://www.amtrol.com/boilermate.html

John

Have you checked the mixing valve coming from the coil? You should have limitless hot water with with a coil, but if for what ever reason it isn't enough you could just install a storage tank that is indirectly heated from the boiler.
    Plumbing and Heating Tech.
    My plumbing website Hidden Content

The best way would to be to add the indirect but make sure the installer also adds a zone control that has priority. What this means is that when the tank needs hot water the control shuts down the heating zone and allows the full load of the boiler to satisfy the tank.

You could also just add a storage tank. That coil in your boiler is a heat exchanger and may be able to do the job. Would need to know your domestic demand to properly size a tank. An inexpensive way out would be to purchase a 50 Gallon Electric Heater, pull the elements out and have the coil dump to the tank. A tankless coil generally can deliver 3 to 3.5 gallons a minute so you could recover the tank in 20 minutes or so.

I agree with John---an indirect by Amtrol, Triangle Tube, HTP Super Stor, TFI Everhot & others is the only way to go on this deal---a 40 gal unit is generally installed & is considered a companion to the boiler, because they are so popular and widely installed---very efficient, all the hot water you'll need, and these units last for decades, usually without any service problems at all.

I wonder if your installer fell down on this install, if he didn't mention the gross inadequate HW output of the tankless coil, that actually puts out little more than a gallon of HW before the aquastat signals the boiler to fire up again to make more domestic water---these tankless coils are so inadequate that installers in the industry have been trying for years to get them completely discontinued from being installed in any future boilers for sale.

In addition to their low HW output, they easily cake up with calcium in hard water situations, and require a triple aquastat that has to fire the boiler to constantly keep the boiler water temp at 145 degrees---this makes the boiler a real fuel hog.

You'll pay plenty over the years of boiler ownership if you don't make a change to an indirect---many boilers can be fitted with a non-triple aquastat at the same time, or the wiring modified to accept cold start on the boiler---all this should have been explained to you by the installer before the deal went down.
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 02-08-2011 at 10:12 PM.