+ Reply to Thread

Default Moving a bathroom

How difficult and costly would it be to move a bathroom about 3 feet? All new plumbing was just put in but there's a hall right behind the bathroom that is just a waste of space and a small bedroom on the other side of the bath that could have been made bigger. Would it just be a matter of adding some elbows and pipes or is there a lot more to it? I don't know anything about plumbing. Just a shame that so much space was wasted with the house being so small anyway. The bedroom is only just over 7 feet wide and could be around 10 which would make a big difference. It only has the one bedroom and it hardly fits a bed and dresser.
    Last edited by victorian; 02-06-2011 at 03:12 PM.

Default Re: Moving a bathroom

without seeing it, my best guess is that it's a pretty big job, essentially the amount of totally redoing the bathroom again.

Without seeing it and knowing the materials, I really can't say. But with enough money, anything can be accomplished. Get a few quotes from reputable plumbers / remodelers and see what they have to say.

All of the above...

Plus you must decide if the added expense is worth the extra three feet. From the size of the bedroom (the only one in the house) it sounds like it would be worth it.

Is this a new house still under construction? and if so did you approve the layout and just now realizing what it actually is? What is the hall behind the bath used for?

If you drew a simple existing floor plan it would be helpful along with existing plumbing

Quote Originally Posted by LIHR View Post
    All of the above...

Plus you must decide if the added expense is worth the extra three feet. From the size of the bedroom (the only one in the house) it sounds like it would be worth it.

Is this a new house still under construction? and if so did you approve the layout and just now realizing what it actually is? What is the hall behind the bath used for?

If you drew a simple existing floor plan it would be helpful along with existing plumbing
    This is a cottage that I'm working on for a neighbor. It was in pretty bad shape. The previous owners had made the bathroom bigger by stretching it into the 2nd bedroom and making that bedroom unuseable. The hall is to a door that goes to the backyard. I think they removed a load bearing wall in the process of stretching the bath. There's a 2x4 showing in the bathroom that's level with the ceiling drywall and that would be the direction the loadbearing walls would run. They also removed a load bearing wall to the kitchen. I added new supports under that. The new owner put a huge furnace in the remaining space of the second bedroom and also a hot water tank and washer and dryer. The whole thing is laid out bad. After looking at it I recommended making the bedroom larger, making a small utility room, moving the door going out the back to the side out the utility room, making the kitchen an L shape and moving the front door to open up the living room space. There are no closets, so I worked a small clothes closet and a coat closet in too. He already had the electric and plumbing done. Some of the electric will need to be redone for the new design in the kitchen although I think it will be well worth it to gain the space of the L shape. He also put in a monster of a furnace. I think it's way to big for the house (approx. 500 sf.). He plans on buying more properties and I think he would be better off moving that to a different house and putting in a gas fireplace and some baseboard heating. The fireplace itself would heat most of the house. If the bathroom is slid back 3 feet I could replace the load bearing wall too. I think he would be better off in the long run even though he may lose a bit money wise now for the mistakes. What do you think?

Sounds like a lot of work to bring back to its original layout.

You are not dealing with much space, and with that said you need to optimize every square inch. Not sure if you need the second bedroom, If you do then you need to bring it back to it's original layout, if not maybe consider extending the kitchen with a small bump out.

Layout is the most difficult process of remodeling and if you get it right it can make a world of difference, get it wrong and you curse that room everyday.

You need to weigh your options and most importantly money. It always boils down to how much money you are willing to spend.

nothing is impossible the whole thing based on how much you are spenind , so get info and bidding from different plumbers

Bathroom remodeling is expensive, and has been part of larger bathroom renovation. Most of the time the costs are higher when we move the plumbing line.
    Hidden Content - BBB Award Winning Service

It's difficult to move bathroom one place to another.sometimes it is necessary to do this.
    Hello, my name is Sandra and i have a small webshop for Hidden Content products in Holland. If there are people who are interested, please don't hesitate to visit my website.

Its unique in its nature and honestly speaking I never heard about it before.