+ Reply to Thread

Default "Dips" develop in sliding door track

I have a wall that is basically made up of 4 sliding glass door panels, each 4' X 9,' that roll on two tracks (actually, one track, with two rails would be more correct). The glass is only single pane, but the size alone makes each panel quite heavy. There are two rollers at the bottom of each.

My problem is that over the 13 years I have lived in the house since it was built, I have had to switch to using each one of the panels as the entrance door as first one then the next causes the track to develop a "dip" near the end of the door's "open" position / travel. The problem is first evident when the door begins to "rumble" as it is slid open and closed and passes over the developing dip in the rail over a period of a year or two. I have used a flat file to smoothe out the dips, but after a while, the dip just gets to be longer and deeper, smoother, but still a "dip" --

The question: since the rail seems to be aluminum like the door frames and the rest of the framework around the opening, could I find somewhere a track made of a harder matereial, like some sort of steel or bronze or brass? Would a harder material then cause the rollers to wear and just give me a whole nother set of problems? If stronger materials are used for such tracks, where can they be obtained (the opening is nearly 16' so the track could certainly not be mailed, at least not in one piece!)?

Any ideas or similar experiences? Alternate solutions?

Thanks!
    Clem

Default Re: "Dips" develop in sliding door track

I believe that there are stainless steel runners that can be installed to cure the problem you describe. Contact a glass company, they should be able to give you more details.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!