+ Reply to Thread

Question Novice painter-help please!

Hi guys/galls,
    I am painting a couple of new interior doors and baseboards. How many layers of primer and how many of semigloss paint should I apply?
    Can I dilute acrilic paint with water to make it spread better and dry with as least brash traces as possible.
    What is the best way to paint a louver door -brush ? sponge? roller?
    Did anyone use this new 2-in-1 primer/paint by Beehr? Any good?
    Thanks a lot.

Default Re: Novice painter-help please!

Hi guys/galls,
    I am painting a couple of new interior doors and baseboards. How many layers of primer and how many of semigloss paint should I apply?
    You don't need primer unless you're working with bare wood, excessively dirty surfaces (which should be washed first ), or poorly painted surfaces.

Can I dilute acrilic paint with water to make it spread better and dry with as least brash traces as possible.
    You can, follow the thinning directions on the label. Avoid thinning if possible, as it can cause the paint to drip and run while using and sag or pooling after it's on the surface.

What is the best way to paint a louver door -brush ? sponge? roller?
    Painting doors is easiest with a 1" roller and a good quality brush. Apply the paint with the roller, then with a slightly wet (with paint ) brush, lay off the door. Similarly with louvers, the roller will get the material onto the door quickly, then lay off with a brush. Be sure to rinse the roller well with water before using to get rid of loose nap fibers.

Did anyone use this new 2-in-1 primer/paint by Beehr? Any good?
    No. In my experience Behr paints do not cure hard, which makes them susceptible to scratch damage. They also spatter and drip more than professional grade paints such as Kelly Moore or Sherwin Williams. Lastly, the finish quality of Behr 2-1 is poor.

Thanks a lot.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Are the doors fully louvered, or just a portion?

If they're ALL louvered, spray them. Practice technique first. Get a good sprayer. You'll go "near-insane" brushing a full-louver door!

Faron

Hi guys,
    Thanks for replay,
    It is full louver, new, bare wood - pine. I covered it with one layer of Benjamin Moor primer. It took indeed forever... It feels rough on touch...

I never used a sprayer - I don't think I can handle it... Do I go with 2 more coats of BM semigloss?

Spruce - is it a 1" sponge roller? What brand of brush do you reccomend?
    Unfortunately I cannot get a good advice in the stores - I feel everyone is just promoting their product... Like with 2-in-1 Beehr...
    Thanks

Smile Re: Novice painter-help please!

My suggestion(s) to you is to stick to the higher grades of paint-not the ones at the big box stores!! i.e.: Benjamin Moore, Pratt and Lambert. When I have painted on bare wood or bare plaster, I use an oil based primer-one coat. Let that dry for 24 hours then you can use latex-2 coats.

You will need an angled brush for oil base paints and one for latex.

As far as painting louvered doors I paint with a brush-even strokes on the top side, then when dry, apply one coat to the back side.

I agree not to thin your acrylic paint! Especially being a novice! Frustration will abound with all the drip marks you will have to sand down! Good luck!

Hi guys,
    Thanks for replay,
    It is full louver, new, bare wood - pine. I covered it with one layer of Benjamin Moor primer. It took indeed forever... It feels rough on touch...
    Lightly sand with 220 grit sanding sponge. You're only trying to scuff off the roughness, so don't do it too hard.

I never used a sprayer - I don't think I can handle it... Do I go with 2 more coats of BM semigloss?
    Sprayers aren't that difficult to use, but if you don't have access or experience with one ... You need whatever it takes to get a good finish, typically that is two coats. BM is a good brand to use.

Spruce - is it a 1" sponge roller? What brand of brush do you reccomend?
    I would not use a sponge roller, they tend to smear more than roll. The standard 1" fuzzy rollers work better.

Unfortunately I cannot get a good advice in the stores - I feel everyone is just promoting their product... Like with 2-in-1 Beehr...
    You're going to get this no matter where you go, however with professional coating dealers they know their products and try to direct you to the best product they have in the store that suits your needs, not just what has the highest mark-up.

Thanks
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

When I had to thin acrylic paint, I preferred to use Floetrol by Flood. It is a milky acrylic resin which will give you increased wet time without actually thinning out the paint. It does for acrylic paints what Penetrol (basically linseed oil) does for oil paint. Acylic paints, unlike oil, want to skin over very rapidly. You must move rapidly and not be tempted to keep brushing. Over brushing merely degrades the final result. Acrylics will reasonably level themselves if you don't overbrush. DON'T be tempted to go back and pick-up a drip or sag after a few minutes of dry time. You will raise brush marks which you will not be able to get rid of. When doing larger areas, such as doors, I prefer to use a roller to speed up the process.

The best way to get really good results with acrylics is to spray them, however, you need professional grade equipment to spray the relatively heavy acrylic resin. Those cheap hand held Wagner guns just don't hack it. Graco does have a good hand held, but it sells for $300 and only has a 200 hour work life.

My first choice for fine woodwork is still oil paint. Acrylics do not give the hard, level finish which oil gives. It is actually easier to brush oil paint because of the much longer wet time.

Even if using an acrylic finish coat, consider an oil primer. Oil does not raise the grain , as does water soluble products. Also, the oil primer can be sanded and dusts up to give a very smooth, well sealed surface. Your acrylic finish coat will work easier over a good oil primer. You will have more wet time and the paint will slide better.

During my contracting days, Benjamin Moore's oil based Satin Impervo was my first choice for fine woodwork. When the environment allowed it, I preferred to spray it too. It is a little difficult to spray in an occupied house, although it can often be done when proper steps are taken.

???Cannot read answers!