+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Paint Problems

Default Paint Problems

Hello,
    We moved into a house that was built in 1950 and are in the process of fixing up many things. My main question is what type of paint should we use that will not pill up after a few weeks of being used. The moisture is making the paint pill and there is no fan to air the bathroom out. Didn't know if I should add a fan to help or if I should use a different type of paint.
    Thanks,
    Phill

Default Re: Paint Problems

First, regardless of what paint you use, install a good bath vent! Excess humidity can cause a multitude of problems including paint peeling and mildew. Further, given the age of your house, it probably does not have much insulation in the ceiling and walls. The cool wall surface will cause increased condensation.

Given the age of your house I can also assume it has plaster walls and the early paint jobs were with oil paints. This is to say that you are painting over a hard, slick, somewhat impermeable substrate. Given this, you would have been well advised to use a quality acrylic primer before your finish coat. One of the main reasons for priming is to assure good adhesion to slick surfaces. Most manufacturers also have paints specially formulated for bath areas with their inherent high humidity. Behr and Zinser both have such paints.

At his point, I would sc**** the peeling areas down to sound substrate and then spackle the roughness. After sanding, I would prime the entire bath with a quality acrylic primer/undercoater, then paint with a bath paint.

Do you mean you recently painted?

You may, unfortunately, have more issues going on...

Due to the age alone, there may be Lead-paint issues, , someone painting over dirty walls, old Oil-based paint layers losing adhesion, molds/mildew, etc.....

Quality of existing insulation could be a factor too.
    * No matter what...get a good fan installed!! Preferably over the shower area. Panasonic has some good/quiet ones.
    * This may sound drastic, but you've gotta test how good the existing layers are adhered.
    * Lightly cut an 1" 'X' in a couple areas of the wall. Rub some regular masking tape firmly on this X. Quickly tear it off. Paint in good shape won't be affected. I'd bet $$ though, that your paint will peel-off a few layers.
    * IF you have multiple layers failing, the process/remedy can get difficult....sometimes to the point of ripping-down what's there, and re-drywalling. Believe it or no, sometimes this IS faster, with better, longer-lasting results.

Was any paint left over??
    Do you know if it was Oil or Latex?
    If so, what exact paints were used?

Faron

I painted it around 4 weeks ago, and used latex paint. Like mentioned it has plaster walls. There is a little bit of paint left over.