+ Reply to Thread

Default I'm done with this site...

I know the Site-supervisor's don't really care, but this lax spam-control is downright laughable.
    For a well-known "brand" like TOH, this should be an embarrassment to them, and not tolerated. Still...it just keeps on....
    I've reported the posts, and listed the spammer on the other link. NO change sadly....

Later,
    Faron

Default Re: I'm done with this site...

I AGREE.
    TOH should really do something about it, or lose many viewers.

Every so often, the moderators post something about an upcoming issue. What we need everyone to do is whine about the spam issue in these posts so that maybe they will actually read the complaints and hopefully do something about them.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    Every so often, the moderators post something about an upcoming issue. What we need everyone to do is whine about the spam issue in these posts so that maybe they will actually read the complaints and hopefully do something about them.
    I did just that some time ago. And guess what 1/2 my posts disappeared.

John

I have seen increased spamming issues in several forums, as yet it seems filters don't catch it due to the method. A person signs up to the site, manually entering the safeguard figures, then turns on a program that spams all topics. The site owners then have to cancel the sign-up, block the ip, and delete each spam in each topic individually. Time consuming to say the least. TOH site does seem to be doing a much better job than some others.

im not so sure about that last post, its the only site ive seen spamming to this degree. im on another related site and spam posters are noticed and dealt with within the hour of the post
    fire up the saw and make some dust

You guys know that I get just as pissed off at all the spam and the lack of live moderation we have here. The thing is, I started an anti-spam campaign on Dec. 23, 2000 and have gotten good responses from the admin about getting the offenders removed.
    http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=110948

Today, I received a thank you from one of the admin for my efforts to help them find and remove the spam. Point is, the above spam reporting thread is working, so please use it.

To keep things as uncomplicated as possible, you'll notice that the admin makes a post to announce when all previous infractions have been dealt with. If you've got something to report, make a post and list as many infractions as you see during your stay. When you return and find more infractions, EDIT your previous post and add the new offenses. This keeps a log that we can all use to see what's been reported and what hasn't, without having to read 45 pages of posts to figure it out. It's still a PITA, it's still time consuming, but at least we're helping with the problem an not just beyotching about it.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

No other forum that I am involved with has a spam problem like this. The admins have a user id approval process to weed out the spammers before they can get a user id to post their crapiola.

The level of admin on this forum is pathetic.

exactly, the other page im on requires an introduction post on a specific section of their page. you need like 5 posts there before any new poster is cleared for the other sections, if they dont comply with this they get booted. not to mention there are something like 15 mods at any given time at least one will see the new posts within an hour of posting
    fire up the saw and make some dust