+ Reply to Thread

Thread: kitchen remodel

Default kitchen remodel

We are concidering removing our large utility room. This will give us a much larger kitchen area. But by removing the utility room we remove the hallway to the master bedroom. The door to the master bedroom then will open directly to the kitchen. The bathroom door will also open directly to the kitchen . I have never seen a bedroom door open directly to the kitchen. Is there a reason one never sees this in a house.

Default Re: kitchen remodel

Are you saying that the bathroom and bedroom are currently accessed through the utility room? Seems a bit strange to me.

No, bathrooms and bedrooms do not normally open directly into the kitchen, and I'd recommend against doing so. Is it not possible to remove your utility room without removing a hallway to maintain "private" access to the bed and bath?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by joan agnes View Post
    We are concidering removing our large utility room. This will give us a much larger kitchen area. But by removing the utility room we remove the hallway to the master bedroom. The door to the master bedroom then will open directly to the kitchen. The bathroom door will also open directly to the kitchen . I have never seen a bedroom door open directly to the kitchen. Is there a reason one never sees this in a house.
    Bad idea for resale value.

Could you post a floor plan (even a hand-scribbled one)? It would give people something to work with in figuring out ideas for you.

The existing layout does sound a bit odd. Your best bet would be to consult a local realtor who can best tell you what the rest of your neighborhood is doing / has done.

Strange i never heard that bedroom door is directly open in kitchen loll you have to remodel your home's model.

Have the Bedroom door open into a pantry area then have another door from the pantry to enter in to the bedroom. Try to avoid having a washer and dryer in the Kitchen if possible. If you do make sure there is some type of enclosure or doored entry for the washer nd dryer. It is hard to tell without a sketch.