+ Reply to Thread

Default Cracking/Popping Noises in Old House

Hi,

Sorry if this is long but a lot of threads seems to be people asking for more info; hopefully I have everything covered here.

See attached drawing. I'm posting it here because I'm not sure if this counts as an inside/wall problem or an outside structure problem.

I've seen a few posts about cracking in houses when they settle, but we have a 50 year-old home; we've lived here for just over four years. It's a raised ranch, bedrooms over the garage, built into a hill so the front of the house is up one story but the back walks out to the back yard. We do have blown in insulation in the attic and the floor over the garage but not the walls.

There have been a couple of small cracks in the walls and ceilings here and there over the years. In the past six months however, a couple of large (long, not wide) drywall cracks (inside) have shown up from the bottom right corners of two windows. They're along the same wall (front of the house) in two different bedrooms and go out from apposite bottom corners down to the floorboards.

In the garage, along the front of the house, is a metal beam. When I measure the beam to the floor the center of it is 1/8" shorter than the ends. Plus when I put a level on it, it seems to show that it's bowed slightly.

Does this mean my house is about to cave in?

Add to that last night a couple of loud popping noises that seem to come from the center of the house ceiling/roof. I've read a bunch of posts here and elsewhere about settling and weather adjusting nails, joists, etc and something called "Truss Uplift". We're in Syracuse and it's been <10F a couple of times this winter; so I imagine the roof is much colder than the ceiling.

But is is normal for this settling/adjusting to continue even in an old house?

Thanks so much!

Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 3.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	3915  
    Last edited by jscooper; 01-31-2011 at 10:07 AM.