+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question To Baffle or Not to Baffle

I was installing baffles so I can install more insulation in the attic and make sure the ventilation was adequate. The soffitt on the outside is perferated so I should have seen some daylight when I pulled away the insulation from the wall/roof area. But I noticed where the trusses met the wall at the soffitt area I could not see any daylight except for like 10 places. In fact all I saw in the other areas was basically a 2x4 nailer in between the trusses tight up against the roof sheathing. I installed the baffles where I saw day light coming in and did not do the rest. I have gable end vents plus a ridge vent. Should I bother to install baffles through out the remaining spaces before I add the additional insulation or am I wasting my time with the baffles?

Default Re: To Baffle or Not to Baffle

The insulation should not touch the underside of the roof sheathing. Water will condensate there and rot out the roof.

I AM IN A SIMILAR POSITION, CONSIDERING BAFFLE VENTS AS RECOMMENDED BY MY CONTRACTOR IN CONJUNCTION WITH A RIDGE VENT.THE PROBLEM IS THAT MY PRIMARY CHOICE FOR RIDGE VENTING WAS MADE AFTER SEVERAL RECOMMDATIONS AS WELL AS VISUAL OBSERVATIONS OF OTHER HOMES WITH RIDGE VENTING. HOWEVER JUST BEFORE THE JOB WAS TO BEGIN HE ADVISED THAT A RIDGE VENT COULD NOT BE INSTALLED BECAUSE MY CHIMNEY GOES THROUGH THE ROOF IN THE SAME AREA WHERE THE RIDGE VENT WOULD HAVE TO BE INSTALLED. iF HE IS CORRECT, I GUESS, BAFFLE VENTS WOULD BE THE ALTERNATIVE. CONFUSED
    Last edited by fmendoza; 05-01-2011 at 02:44 PM. Reason: CLARIFICATION REG; RIDGE VENT IN CONJUNCTION WITH BAFFLES

how long is your ridge, if you have a chimney at the peak of a hip roof i can see him advising against ridge vent, but if you have a gable or mansard roof its not a big deal to have to runs of ridge vent

as for the amount of ventiation required, as per the canadian code you only need 1 sq ft of vented space for every 150 sq ft of ceiling space in of the attic.

if the bays between the rafters are blocked with 2x lumber its not a big deal if you can get in there and drill out some holes with a larger spade bit or a couple holes with a 2" hole saw
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Smile Re: To Baffle or Not to Baffle

Thanks to jkirk for your input! I did briefly consider this option, however,as a lay person i didn't know if it was feasible. Thanks to you it's given me the confidence to present it to the contractor as a possible solution. Fmendoza