+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sagging floors

Default sagging floors

I have just purchased a 1928 "arts & crafts home. The floors are sagging with a deflection as much as a half inch in 6 feet. Before I install tile I must jack up the floors, but have been told that this is unwise - any comments please.....jay

Default Re: sagging floors

why were you told that was unwise? you can put a lally column in the basement to support the floors after they are jacked up.

As stated above, or new joists or stell plate can be sistered to the existing joists.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

If you do jack up the floor before supporting it with a beam or sistered joists, it needs to be done incrementally to allow the structure time to adjust.

I think the original poster might've been told it was unwise meaning it was unwise to do it himself. Most contractors don't reccomend people start jacking up their houses on their own, because if done wrong bad things can happen.
    That being said, if done slowly and properly you should be able to fix your sagging floor without any problems.