+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Uphill Drain

Default Uphill Drain

This is my first post to this site, so I hope I get some responses. I am buying a house that has an unfinished basement and I want to add a bathroom downstairs as well as put the laundry room down there.
    My dilemma is that it is on a septic tank and the tank is approx. 3 feet above where the bathroom and laundry room will be.
    There also is no floor drains, but the drain pipe from upstairs runs along the wall vertically right where I want to do this improvement, so access to this is really no big issue.
    The question, how do I get water to drain uphill?
    Thanks for any help you can give me!!

Default Re: Uphill Drain

this is a very simple basic job. all you have to do is install a holding tank with a pump. essentially you're installing a barrel about half the size of a trash barrel under the concrete floor to which the pipes from your plumbing fixtures will drain into, toilet included if you want one. when the barrel fills up, the pump kicks on and pumps the waste up into the pipe that runs into your septic system. i don't know what part of the country you are in but installing something like this adds $2,500 - $5,500 to the cost of any other plumbing needed to get your bathroom/laundry room done. the reason the price range is so great is because i don't know how far everything is away from each other, if not alot of concrete has to be dug up you'll be on the lower end, if things are spread all over the basement then it will be on the higher end.

The most common solution is to install a sewage sump and pump the waste up to the existing drainage. There is another alternative that im not particularly crazy about....do a search for "Saniflow"
    PH,
    Plumbing and Heating Tech.
    My plumbing website Hidden Content

not a fan of saniflow at all. i've had 4 installed over the past 2 or so years and on every single one we've had to go back to fix issues with them. but luckily we haven't had a call back since about 2-3 months after the last installation.

pump in the floor with a line up to hte sewage pipe is a much better alternative.

The clothes washer may not need to be drained into the pump pit. Many washers have the ability to pump upwards a few feet. Check with the specific machine you purchase to see if it will pump the waste water as high as you need it to go. If not, then it will have to be drained into the pump pit. Keeping the clothes washer out of the sewage pit will make less work for the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by MLBSF View Post
    not a fan of saniflow at all. i've had 4 installed over the past 2 or so years and on every single one we've had to go back to fix issues with them. but luckily we haven't had a call back since about 2-3 months after the last installation.

pump in the floor with a line up to hte sewage pipe is a much better alternative.
    I know, Saniflow systems are garbage but people keep buying em', some even 4 times...lol,
    Plumbing and Heating Tech.
    My plumbing website Hidden Content